Stenciling Cakes

Decorating By Yankie Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 12:06pm by CandyLady

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:37am
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering what should i use to stencil a cake. A sponge used for painting patterns on the wall..or a brush. Not sure on this one.

And I was wondering where do you get your stencil stuff. I know that Joanns has alot for a reasonable price, but I was wondering if there is another place where I can get them cheaper.

Thank you in advance!

6 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:04am
post #2 of 7

I'd use a palette knife from the painting section in Joanns/micheals. Sugar shack sells them too. http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_87505/Palette_Knife
I bought 2 stencils from ebay and 2 from Joanns icon_smile.gif
- h

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 7

Honeyscakes, I thought I needed something spongy like, thanks for the link.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:16am
post #4 of 7

What I have done is gone to the hardware store and buy some plastic putty knives which come in different sizes. I bought a pack of 3 for like under $5. It makes it really easy when I stencil my cakes...I lay the stencil on the side of my cake and then with my putty knife kind of glide it across the cake...hope this makes sense.

As far as stencil stuff....do you mean actual stencils or tools?? I have bought some cheap stencils at michaels and joanns for under $5 also. It doesnt get cheaper than these places, since you can use either a 40% or 50% coupon

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:46am
post #5 of 7

I also use a palette knife... very precise.... and global here sells them as well as from the source... designer stencils.com

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:38am
post #6 of 7

Cake stencils are thicker than regular stencils you get at craft stores. I bought mine from fondant source and designer stencil. I use a small off set cake spatula. If you are stenciling on butter cream its easier to do if you chill your cake ahead of time. I use thinned down butter cream on butter cream iced cakes and royal on fondant.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 7

how do you keep from leaving the square outline of the stencil on your buttercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%