Very Basic Question

Decorating By bryanrobh Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 5:57am by Cake_Bliss

bryanrobh Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 6

I am very new to cake decorating. I have made cakes before but out of the box where you just add eggs and oil then frost it out of the can. I want to make better cakes now. I seen the videos to answer some basic questions but what I didnt see is how to make the cakes the same flat shape. When I bake a cake in a normal round cake pan the cake raises more in the middle than it does on the edges resulting in a dome shape. I see in all the videos the cakes are all flat and the same shape. I assume they just cut the top off but I wanted to ask and get real feedback. Thanks

5 replies
BecL Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 6

Hi bryanrobh,

I am new to the cake decorating scene too, and have also wondered how people got their cakes so flat. There are a few things I have done to try and replicate this look:
1. Cut the top off the cake (got a professional cutter as I always seemed to cut crookedly),
2. After doing this too many times, I got a little peeved at losing valuable cake, so I did a little research and found a handy little tip: as soon as the cake comes out of the oven, before you take it out of the pan, press the top down with a clean, dry tea towel until it is even with the rest of the cake. This also gives you a really dense cake, so I am a little hesitant to try it on the softer sponges.
3. I also know that Wilton sell aluminium baking strips that you put around the cake pan in the oven to help regulate the temperature and stop the cake from rising unevenly (I have not tried this as I fins the former two adequate).

I hope that this helps you, and I hope you have fun on your cake decorating journey!

leafO Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 6

Yes you can just cut any dome off the top evenly with a long serrated knife.

When I am stacking a cake I put the top cake with the cut side down because it gives a nicer edge for the top of the cake.

A simple way to help make sure the cut even is to stack some cake rounds in the pan you used to bake the cake and set the cake back in the pan on top of the cardboard rounds until the domed part is sticking up above the rim of the pan. Then you can use the edge of the pan as a guide when you cut to help make sure it's even. I hope that makes sense icon_biggrin.gif

beenie51 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

Another thing you can try is to bake the cake 25 degrees lower and for a little longer and that will help with the dome in the center. 2 some people use baking strips which you wrap around the pans.
Hope that helps. Beenie

mamawrobin Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:13am
post #5 of 6

I bake every cake at 325. I always use the push down method when my cakes come out of the oven. When I first take them out I use a clean dish towel and gently press the cake down. This levels it quite a bit. Then to make sure it's completely level I cut the top off using a bread knife. I check using a laser level to make sure my cakes are level.

Cake_Bliss Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:57am
post #6 of 6

I raed on a thread somewhere on here that after you get you batter in the pan drop the pan lightly a couple time and it releases the air bubbles......but it also has seemed to make all my cakes come out pretty even, no big domes. I think I am going to try the press down method also, although I do like my cake scrapsicon_smile.gif LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%