Imbc Help

Baking By veghed Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 1:20am by pastrymaniac

veghed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 9

I tried my hand today at IMBC. I have no frame of reference, but I think it came out pretty good. Very smooth and creamy.

My husband liked it. My SIL made a face. She said it was way too buttery. I didn't think it was that buttery, but it is pretty buttery.

I am a little nervous about serving it because of her reaction.

I really like it much better, in some ways, than regular buttercream, so I want to make it again. What would happen to the consistency if I cut back on the butter next time?

Also, there is a thread here somewhere where a bunch of people discussed combining IMBC and regular buttercream and really loved the result. I cannot find the thread. If you know where it is, please let me know. Would you suggest doing that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

8 replies
LindaF144a Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 9

What flavoring did you add to the IMBC. IMO IMBC and SMBC alone tastes buttery. It is a base to add some flavoring, either vanilla extract, or some other extract or melted white chocolate, about 3-5 ounces. Fruit puree if you are doing a colored icing. Anything but plain IMBC.

csue Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 9

It could be your recipe. I have different IMBC recipes and some have more butter than others. The ones with the extra butter I just don't care for.

Also, flavoring does help.

veghed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

What flavoring did you add to the IMBC. IMO IMBC and SMBC alone tastes buttery. It is a base to add some flavoring, either vanilla extract, or some other extract or melted white chocolate, about 3-5 ounces. Fruit puree if you are doing a colored icing. Anything but plain IMBC.

You hit the nail right on the head. After I posted this, I realized that I had not yet added the vanilla. I went back and mixed some in and then had DH and SIL taste again. DH liked it a lot. SIL liked it better, but still said it had a buttery aftertaste.

When you say white chocolate, do you mead the candy flavored rounds? Do you add them in at the same time as the hot, sugar syrup?

I like the idea of fruit puree. Just puree fresh/frozen fruit in a blender and add at the end?

Thanks

veghed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by csue

It could be your recipe. I have different IMBC recipes and some have more butter than others. The ones with the extra butter I just don't care for.

Also, flavoring does help.

The ratio of butter to egg whites is one and a half pounds butter to eight egg whites. I looked for other recipes, but they actually had a higher ratio of butter to egg whites.

What does your recipe use?

Like I said earlier, I have no frame of reference, so I do not really know if I made it correctly.

After mixing the meringue/sugar syrup and added the butter(when it was cool), the volume did decrease somewhat. Could that be the problem?

LindaF144a Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 9

I feel that you need to use the white chocolate that has cocoa butter in it. I believe it melts better. I add it in at the end after the frosting is all made, probably at the same time you add the vanilla extract or whatever other extract you are going to use.

metria Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 9

If I'm going to add white chocolate to my IMBC, the very first thing I do is melt some down in a small bowl in the microwave. Then I start making the IMBC. I finish making the IMBC completely, then I add the white chocolate. By that time it's cool enough not to melt the butter but warm enough to still be viscous.

veghed Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 9

I'm reviving this thread from over five years ago because I need more information.  (Back then I had a job that did not allow for free time to pursue this hobby).

Other than vanilla, what other extracts are good to use and in what quantity?

How much and what fruit purees work best?  Made from scratch or can you purchase something decent?  The coloring contrast between the fondant and the cake won't look weird?

Would I be better off combining it with ABC since it's going under fondant?

^Do these questions apply to SMBC?

Any other suggestions for flavoring?  Candy melts, maybe?

Thanks much!

pastrymaniac Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9

Hi veghed,

in my experience I have always used IMB alone not mixing it with ABC without any stability issues even in hot weather. I also used to find most of IMB recipes quite buttery and sweet for my taste so I adjusted my recipe by reducing sugar and butter without any problem whatsoever for all my stacked wedding cakes for 3 years now. For 5 large egg whites I use just 250-280 g of butter (the latter when it´s a lemon curd/ acidic fruit flavoured IMB) and both myself and my clients have been happy so far :)

It goes beautifully under fondant by itself as long s the cake is well chilled before covering.

Regarding flavourings I use homemade lemon curd made  thick either with a bit of cornstarch or gelatine added and I never use fresh/frozen fruit purée since it contains a lot of water. I simmer the fruit purées (raspberries, strawberries, mango,etc.) until they become quite thick without tasting caramelised, like a quicker less sugary homemade jam, let them cool and add them at the end of the IMB mixing, trowing in a few more littles cubes of butter to help the buttercream come together. I also use homemade salted caramel, pure liquid coffee extract for a IMB cappuccino flavour, LorAnn excellent range of flavourings I particularly like the coconut one ( a little expensive but taste so good and a few drops go a long way), I also still have to try some dulche de leche. I have also used a good quality ginger and lime marmelade mixed in my IMB as well as a orange one.

Hope my suggestions help.

Happy baking, cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%