Making A Large Fondant/gumpaste Crown. Which Should I Use?

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:09am by mcdonald

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 4

Ok so I will just go ahead and throw this out there, I have already asked for tips on this cake twice today, and I'm sure it wont be the last time! Every cake I make takes weeks off of my life in anxiety. icon_razz.gif

I have to make a large crown for a birthday cake this weekend and I was wondering if any professional fondant/gum pasters could give me some tips. This crown is going to be the size of a 6-in round, but a bit taller than the standard tier would be. It will have some fondant decorations (diamonds, etc.) attached to it also. Would it be better to use gumpaste to make this or fondant? Or maybe a mixture? I have wilton brand of both. I have never made a large object out of either, and really have only used them a few times so I'm really unfamiliar with both. Also, how far in advance should I make it, and about how thick should it be rolled out to before I cut it? TIA to anyone who answers my basic newb question! icon_biggrin.gif

(This is the crown, btw)
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/4th-birthday-princess-crown-cake-2010-01-23.htm

3 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 4

Well, I'd probably use straight gum paste because I think it's so strong. But you could use a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant - what we call modelling paste.

Looks not too hard to do. You should be fine.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 4

I've done a couple tiaras and have always used fondant and added tylose powder to it (which makes it gumpaste)....once it dries it's very sturdy and hard...i'd do it a couple days in advance just to make sure it dries completely...

when I make my tiaras I wrap saran wrap around an oatmeal canister and make it the tiara on there and let it dry there as well...that way it already has the round shape and it stands up well....hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 4

use tylose in fondant or use a 50/50 combo of fondant and gumpaste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%