Can You Put An Edible Icing Image On A Piece Of Fondant?

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm by MariaK38

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 7

Hi! I'm planning some plaques for my son's birthday cupcakes and printing out some edible images to put on top of his cupcakes. Can these be placed on top of fondant? Should the fondant be soft when I put it on or should I wait for it to harden?

THanks! Maria

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 7

Yes, you can put edible icing images on fondant. I made baseball cookies for my nephew's bar mitzvah that I had covered in fondant and then decorated with an edible image. I think I covered the cookies first and then went back and did the image, so my fondant may have been partially hardened, but I don't know for sure. You can see the cookie if you check my photos.

MariaK38 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #3 of 7

thanks! did you attach it with corn syrup or did it just stick on its own?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:37am
post #4 of 7

I put edible icing images on fondant all the time I don't write on my cakes anymore I make plaques, I use clear gel to attach it to my fondant. my fondant is soft when I attach it works great

Molly icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

thanks! did you attach it with corn syrup or did it just stick on its own?

I use a thin layer of piping gel to attach it, but I've heard corn syrup works just fine as well.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 7

Hi!
We use mainly water when applying the images. I know that with Fondarific fondant, it will adhere right to the fondant. But not with other brands of fondant, then you need to create a damp surface for it to stick. I have used Crisco in the past when I needed to manipulate the image a bit. I have heard of people using corn syrup, vodka and piping gel. Basically, the image is just looking for something moist to adhere to.

MariaK38 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7

thanks, all! I put the pics on the fondant (Satin Ice) with a bit of corn syrup and it worked fine. But I accidentally left them turned front side down for too long and the images started coming off on the parchment. Now I have to do them again. Oh well, more fondant practice for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%