Delivery 3 Days Before Event

Decorating By BakedAlaska Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 7:54am by sweettreat101

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 8

I will be making a pirate's treasure chest cake for an upcoming Saturday birthday party. However, I have to leave town on the evening of the Wednesday prior to the party.

The birthday boy's mother is aware of this, and was aware of it when she requested the cake.

The cake will be an open treasure chest, probably only including a few fondant accents, but mostly being buttercream. However, it will be loaded up with sugar candy jewels and chocolate coins, etc...

My dilemma is what would be the best method to have this cake stored so that it is in the freshest state on Saturday for the party?

Has anyone ever delivered a cake 3 days early? And what procedure did you use (or have the recipient use) to keep it fresh and attractive?

7 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 8

I've never 'delivered' that early, but have eaten wedding cake a week after the wedding and it was fine! We were expecting it to be rather dried out and were surprised when we cut into it and it was still very nice. It was for a friends daughter's wedding, and this was a left over side cake that was not cut. It was covered and put in a cool location till the following Saturday when we just had to try it 'just to see' if it was still ok! It did not have a filling, only buttercream.

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 8

I'm glad you asked this question. I have wondered about how long the cake will stay fresh.

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 8

I've done that a couple of times, with cakes that were mostly buttercream, with fondant accents. I told them to keep the cake in the fridge to keep it most fresh. Both times I got rave reviews. icon_smile.gif

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

It all depends on what cake recipe you use as to how fresh it will be in 3 days time. If your recipe is fine after 3 days, your buttercream will seal the cake so the cake will be fine. As long it is kept in a cool place. If you're concerned with the sugar candy jewels 'bleeding' onto the buttercream, can your client place them on herself on Saturday.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #6 of 8

When I do a cake ahead of time I keep it refrigerated...and then have my husband give it to the customer if I will be gone...

The refrigeration keeps it from being melted or anything...and seems to make it nice and moist when it comes back to room temp before serving.

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

When you say you keep it in the fridge is that bc cakes and fondant cakes both?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:54am
post #8 of 8

Yes both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%