Transporting A Cake In The Trunk?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 11:35am by cutthecake

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 5

So I'm making my nephew a guitar cake for his birthday Labor Day weekend. It's going to be very large...same size of his actual guitar. My DH and kids will be in the car with me so I have no place to put this except in the trunk.

I have to travel just under 2 hours. Will this cake make it? It's going to be covered in fondant. Originally was going to fill it with cream cheese frosting, but can go with a regular BC (like Indydebi's) if the heat is going to be an issue.

A friend had suggested putting dry ice in the trunk, but I don't want the cake to sweat. Maybe a portable (battery operated) fan????

Any advice? icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

2 hour drive, cake in the trunk, Florida heat? I vote no, No, and NO! Is there any possibilty that you could beg, borrow, steal (not really) someone's SUV, so that the cake will be in an air conditioned environment? I would not worry so much about Indydebi's bc but the fondant might really start to suffer.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:09am
post #3 of 5

Baaaaaddddd idea!

The trunk of a car is an oven and an oven with a fan is a convection oven.

Dry ice releases carbon dioxide, it could make it into the "cabin" of the car and make people very ill.

I'm sorry, but I have no good solution for you except to find/rent a van or SUV, or take a second vehicle and make sure it's level on the back seat or floor.

Best of Luck,
Rae

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:37am
post #4 of 5

Man you guys and your "reality check"...LOL! J/K...thank you for pointing out what a bad idea this is. I didn't even think about the dry ice being dangerous. See this is why I ask icon_smile.gif I definitely don't want my 18 month old and 4 year old getting sick...or anyone for that matter. Bummer! I guess we will have no choice but to take two cars. Our second car is a hatchback so the cake can lay flat and still be in the AC.

Oh well...that's what I get for taking on this project icon_razz.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:35am
post #5 of 5

"Our second car is a hatchback so the cake can lay flat and still be in the AC. "

You also do not want the cake sitting in the sun for 2 hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%