Pricing On Carved Cake

Business By mombabytiger Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 4:41am by BlessP

mombabytiger Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #1 of 8

Have request for carved cake to look like a Tonka dump truck. Vanilla cake with vanilla custard filling. To serve 30. No idea what to charge? Any advice please?!

7 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:16am
post #2 of 8

Our shaped/carved cakes start at $120, and that's a really basic shape, 15-20 servings. A Tonka truck sounds like a pretty complicated carved cake, so it would be more. Everyone seems to have different ideas about what to charge for carved cakes, and it depends on your area, so it's hard to say for sure, but they are definitely more time consuming than a basic tiered cake. Another think to consider is if you would be using fondant, because that increases the price as well.

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:56am
post #3 of 8

When I had people ask about carved cakes (usually preceeded by a glow in the eyes as they told me how much they LUV that ace of cakes show! icon_eek.gif ), I'd tell them, "That would be a carved cake and those start at $150 .... and that's before I even pick up a pencil to find out what you want."

shalini1 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 8

also need to ask if the vanilla custard filling will hold up in this type of carved cake. I know that there are only certain cakes & fillings you can work with for carving because of stability.

As for the cost - definitely depends on the area & skill level. Research your competition and area, see what they offer and charge.

mombabytiger Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 8

Knew I could count on you folks! I'm gonna tell her $150 and see how fast that carved cake turns into a 1/2 sheet cake with a picture of a truck on it!

The_Caketress Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 8

Depending on the detail , carved cakes start at 500 for me.

KrissieCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

Depending on the detail , carved cakes start at 500 for me.

Holy cow! I see why! I just checked out your blog - unfreakingbelievable!!!!! I bookmarked it and will be checking out your incredible cakes often. Fabulous work!

BlessP Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #8 of 8

I'm still confused about custom cake pricing. If you say it's $500 dollars for a carved cake. What is included in a $500 cake? I am talking about the serving of the cake, what kind of cake and filling and what type of design?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%