Huge Order!!

Business By officialamysue Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm by mommachris

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 34

What do i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A bride wants 250 cupcakes for her wedding and 400 cheesecake lollipops.
I charge these separately....
but I have noticed some bakeries provide discounts on huge orders like this.
I normally charge 1.50 a cupcake and the lollipops are .75 each!
How do I break this down for a discount???

33 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 34

May I ask why you want to discount the order? It seems like a pretty standard sized wedding....250 guests or so, each getting one cupcake and a cheesecake pop or two. Is the bride balking at your stated prices?

The cheesecake pops sound delicious, BTW!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 34

I have to say I would not consider doing a discount, unless the bride or groom is a very good friend.
You have set your prices, and you should stick to them in my opinion. I think your prices are very cheap considering what some people or bakeries charge anyway.
Have they actually asked you for a discount?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 34

Did she ask for discount?

If not why are you offering it and doing yourself out of hard earned money.

If she is prepared to order that many knowing what the price is then she is prepared to pay for it.

Really if she wants to give you the business at full price, take it and don't worry about discounting.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 34

You can offer a *small* discount if you like, like 5 or 10%, but I would test the waters with the full price first. Typically discounts are done in wholesale situations where mass producing is the desire and you have a large crew to fulfill it. If it's a small business like most of us here have where it's you and maybe one assistant or two, the large order benefit is not there - charge full price.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 34

I wouldn't discount! Your prices are MORE than fair - (I charge $2.50 for a standard cupcake). Let her know the full price and sound confident when you do!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 34

My standard filled cupcakes are $2.75. Your prices are already HEAVILY discounted.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 34

Your prices are too cheap now. NO DISCOUNT, unless of course you like working for free

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 34

Your costs don't go down any by doing it in bulk, don't discount!

I'd love to hear more about the cheesecake lollipops though icon_smile.gif

SomethingSweetbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 34

Every time I have discounted a large order I have always regreted it! Large orders = more work, more space to store them in, more work delivering,
etc... If I were you I would not lower your prices!

officialamysue Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

May I ask why you want to discount the order? It seems like a pretty standard sized wedding....250 guests or so, each getting one cupcake and a cheesecake pop or two. Is the bride balking at your stated prices?

Cheesecake lollipops:
Bake a cheesecake (any flavor).
Once baked take a cookie scooper, not the big one like a tablespoon size.
Pam spray your hands and roll them into smooth balls.
Stick lollipop sticks (I use kebob sticks at Walmart 300 for just 98 cents) in.
Then freeze them until they are frozen.
In meantime, melt chocolate (I use Aldi Semi Sweet chocolate because it already has the shine) but you can also add a lil bit of shortening to give it a super shine. And get white chocolate and use it as white or u can color it.
Grab the lollipops out of the freezer and start dipping them however you desire. Remember they have to be frozen or it'll fall off the stick!
Once done, it'll already dry since the cold will help the hot chocolate stay on it. You can use toppings like candy, etc but dip it while the chcolate is still wet on the lollippo.
That's how I do it! icon_smile.gif

officialamysue Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I have to say I would not consider doing a discount, unless the bride or groom is a very good friend.
You have set your prices, and you should stick to them in my opinion. I think your prices are very cheap considering what some people or bakeries charge anyway.

They didn't ask me for a discount, however they are not a friend either haha.
Are you saying I should put the price up more than what I charge? I'm in Iowa and the area I'm in are definitely iffy on prices so I try to be fair enough but cheaper than other competitors but also have very good quality. That's why I'm a cheap dateicon_smile.gif

officialamysue Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Your costs don't go down any by doing it in bulk, don't discount!

I'd love to hear more about the cheesecake lollipops though icon_smile.gif

Cheesecake Lollipops.

Cheesecake lollipops:
In meantime, melt chocolate (I use Aldi Semi Sweet chocolate because it already has the shine) but you can also add a lil bit of shortening to give it a super shine. And get white chocolate and use it as white or u can color it.
Grab the lollipops out of the freezer and start dipping them however you desire. Remember they have to be frozen or it'll fall off the stick!
Once done, it'll already dry since the cold will help the hot chocolate stay on it. You can use toppings like candy, etc but dip it while the chcolate is still wet on the lollippo.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by officialamysue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Are you saying I should put the price up more than what I charge? I'm in Iowa and the area I'm in are definitely iffy on prices so I try to be fair enough but cheaper than other competitors but also have very good quality. That's why I'm a cheap dateicon_smile.gif

Oh I can't comment on what your prices should be since I am a long way away from Iowa, but I think they seem cheap in general after reading what others on here charge. I myself charge 2.50 ($3.20) for my cupcakes in Spain and most people here don't even know what a cupcake is... icon_biggrin.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:

Don't discount. This isn't a big enough order to warrant a bulk discount. thumbs_up.gif

And if you're cheaper than other competitors but using better ingredients..... yes, you probably should re-evaluate your price structure. Be sure you're paying yourself what you're worth.

The cheesecake pops sound so yummy! I'm going to try those out at some point soon! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 34

Who says you have to give discounts?

I do occasionally but not as a rule, and usually its few and far between..sometimes its if I want to retain a certain customer, or maybe for a favorite return customer...but its rare.

Maybe you can throw in a few free ones as a bonus or something? If you are already making the pops, you'll probably get leftover anyway...tell her you will throw in a few extra.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #17 of 34

This is not high enough volume to give a volume discount. If they want to order 1000 or so, THEN I'd consider a volume discount.

This is one of those "If everyone else was jumping off of the bridge, would you, too?" Just because you "heard" other places do volume discounts, doesn't mean you automatically do them. There's a whole science, math and business savvy logic involved in discounting.

WARNING! WARNING! BLATENT ADVERTISEMENT COMING UP!!!

There is an article coming up in a soon to be released issue of Cake Central magazine in which I address this very issue, with some excellent quotes and input from some nationally known marketing experts who I am privilaged to know as friends. Stayed tuned for details. Film at eleven! thumbs_up.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:18pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

Cheesecake lollipops:

Do you have trouble with your cheesecake pops melting when they sit out a bit. I made some for a baby shower, and by the time everyone started eating, they were really soft, just wondering what you do, thanks

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #19 of 34

I know what you mean about pricing in this area. Im not that far from you and the "good bakery"(AKA not a grocery store) only charges $0.75 per cupcake I won't mention their cake prices in fear of giving someone a heart attack. icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #20 of 34

Your prices are too low already and no they do not need a discount. That's not a large enough order for a discount and it's already been stated that its more work.

Your cheesecake pops are even lower than mine.

For the PP who asked about them getting soft. You need to keep them in the fridge till just about 30 minutes or less depending on the temperature indoors/outdoors. In summer usually just 5 - 10 minutes is all you need. I have a few people who like to freeze them an eat them that way.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:54am
post #21 of 34

mkolmar, that is what I think too.

OP your prices are really low already and as debi said, not high enough volume to warrant giving a discount. My basic cupcake starts at $2.25 each and cheese cake pops are $1.50 each!

Don't sell yourself short. Not to mention, that many individual treats take so much time to do.

officialamysue Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:06pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

Quote:

Quote:

Cheesecake lollipops:

Do you have trouble with your cheesecake pops melting when they sit out a bit. I made some for a baby shower, and by the time everyone started eating, they were really soft, just wondering what you do, thanks

I freeze mine or ask my customers to keep them in the freezer until 15 minutes before the party. That way it stays on the stick but I also dip up to 3-4 times to the til above the ball so the chocolate holds all tthe way icon_smile.gif

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:42pm
post #23 of 34

officialamysue, Your prices seem low enough but what if you gave them an added bonus. Maybe some extra cupcakes or cheese cake pops instead? Most of the time I have extras anyway. This way your making your money and it may be that added bonus to make them tell future clients !

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 34

I know quite a few gals that offer a free 6 inch "top tier" in the original flavors for their one year anniversary. You would give them a certificate and let them know its only good for their wedding flavors and they need to give you the standard notice if they would like to redeem it. Because they are doing CC's and pops they would be missing out on the 1 year tradition so that might be a nice thing to offer.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #25 of 34

Your prices sound great. Give her the quote so she see's it in writing and let the Bride decide if she wants to pay that much.

The cheesecake Lollis sound DELISH!!!

tiffani_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffani_1 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #26 of 34

Hi! I am a caker in Council Bluffs IA!!

Dont discount - unless they are good buddies. I find myself waiving retainer deposits and delivery fees because I want to be nice, but really, I am only screwing myself.

I also think your cheesecake pops need to be more - my cake pops start out at 1.50!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:41am
post #27 of 34

Have you figured out YOUR cost on all of this?
Cheese cake is expensive to make and you are not charging a whole lot of money for you cheese cake balls . (which sound scrumptious!)

You need to not only figure out your cost of ingredients, but the electricity, gas and water you will use from start to clean up.
You will also have to figure in your time.
Will there be a delivery? Milage?
How many trips to the store will you have to make? That's mileage too!
Now, how much money will you make per hour?
Would you be better off working at McDonald's for $5.00 per hour? LOL

In my honest opinion, I would not give a discount for a wedding. Especially when your prices are already so low.

However, I do understand that some areas are making less money in cake then other areas around the country/world.
Don't under cut yourself. If you do, then you are taking money out of your own family's pocket to provide for a nice wedding for some stranger.

Hope this helps!

Hamari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamari Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 6:43am
post #28 of 34

I was curious also, if a discount was not requested, why offer one?
One of my many phrases comes to mind..."he who speaks first, loses"

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:06pm
post #29 of 34

Maybe throw in a couple of specially decorated pops for the bride and groom. Think "tuxedo" styrawberries... just a thought.

No discount though... thumbs_up.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #30 of 34

I agree with everyone else, unless they asked for a discount or unless you really need this order AND think they will go somewhere else without it I say just stick to your prices.

If you really want to do something then throw in a discount/coupon for their next order. They might be glad to get a special discount and they may forget or lose the coupon in the mean time. It would be a good way to entice them to buy from you in the future.

Again, if you really want to do something I would throw in a discount that is good in the future, but I would stick to your prices right now.

PS - Hello from a fellow Iowan! (Ankeny)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%