Ok, I'm Going To Try The Flooding Technique...

Baking By cab333 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm by JRAE33

cab333 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would reach out to this friendly helpful group for a bit of guidance. I am making bride groom heart shaped cookies...and my initial thoughts were to decorate the entire cookie with fondant. However, after spending the weekend addicted to these boards icon_smile.gif I decided that perhaps I will try the flooding technique with the glace icing.

My question is, the little details that I also want to do....for example little swirls on the brides dress, should I perhaps do those in RI on top of the flooding?

Thanks in advance!

11 replies
peg818 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 12

yes do those in ri on top.

Why not use fondant?? it really is easier to use the flooding, and i find it less tedious

cab333 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 12

Well I am going to try both to see which I like better...but I do think that the flooding with the glace will probably TASTE better! I did do flooding in one of my Wilton courses...and it seemed to either go really really well, or really really bad. Wish me luck!

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 12

I use glace for both flooding and details, and I've had great luck with it. (ALL the cookies I've posted are done with this icing). I simply add enough powdered sugar to the glace until it reaches the consistency of peanut butter. I use a #1s tip for all the details. There's no reason you couldn't use RI for the details, but it would mean additional icing to make.

cab333 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 12

I am going to attempt to attach a photo...lastnight I tried the fondant route, and I don't think they turned out too bad - still need a little tweaking!

cab333 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 12

hmmmm, no pic?

messy1 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 12

I have never tried the fondant. They look great. How did you do the groom tux with the black and white. Three pieces I guess. I think they are very pretty and a great job for the first time.

JRAE33 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #9 of 12

Wow. I think those turned out great!! Certainly don't look like a first try! When I first started doing cookies, I flooded them in royal icing, and then decorated with a thicker royal. The taste was okay, but a little bland. Now I cover all my cookies in RBC and then add details with the royal and they are much tastier.

cab333 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 12

Well I have to say, I tried the flooding lastnight....and LOVED it as well! I loved the flooding look of my bride, but not so much with my groom. There are a few reasons I didnt like it so much for the groom:
-I did not like the shiny tux effect
-I found it hard to get a true black colour
-I like that in the fondant I could put lines in the tux (I dont know if the picture shows the pinstripe type lines I did) but with the glace I could not figure out how to do that without cracking the icing.

http:[email protected]/4904397418/

cab333 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy1

I have never tried the fondant. They look great. How did you do the groom tux with the black and white. Three pieces I guess. I think they are very pretty and a great job for the first time.

Thanks!

Yes, the groom is all fondant...I just cut two hearts out with my cookie cutter (one black, one white) and then laid them ontop of one and other and cut the "v" shape out together so that they would fit like a puzzle when I laid them in place.

JRAE33 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 12

Your bride cookie looks good with the flooding, but I like the fondant one better. Plus, imo, it's easier to get a cleaner/crisper look with the fondant...I tend to "over flood" and have icing run off the side...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%