Dairy-Free Imbc?

Baking By Mae1118 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 10:46am by saberger

Mae1118 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I am making a cake for my family members, many of whom have special dietary needs, but I was hoping to try something a little different than the regular powdered sugar/crisco icing. I LOVE IMBC, but I need to make it dairy-free. I am planning on experimenting with trying to substitute either a dairy-free margarine or maybe butter-flavored Crisco. Do any of you have any suggestions? Has anyone out there ever attempted a dairy-free IMBC? Thanks!

5 replies
saberger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 6

Just off the top of my head...what about margarine? Or something else from the kosher section? Sorry I don't have the answer - good luck!

Mae1118 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 6

Thank u for the suggestion. I did find a dairy-free margarine that I am thinking I will try (it is actually very hard to find a dairy-free margarine. Most of them still have whey or buttermilk or some other dairy product in them) I am just not sure how it will set up because the margarine is REALLY soft at room temp.

saberger Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 6

If I had time, I would try it out as well. But perhaps it would be better to NOT have it at room temp. Have it a little firmer. You might even need to put it into the fridge before using it. Since you know what the regular consistency is you should be fine. I am curious about the taste. Please let me know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

Mae1118 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:56am
post #5 of 6

Ok. I finished my first experiment with the margarine, and in a word, it was gross. I ended up using the margarine cold because even when cold it was so soft. I think that because of that the difference in temperature between the room-temp meringue and the cold margarine caused the icing to start to have a "curdled" look after I added the margarine. I kept beating and waited though, as I know sometimes when I make the regular recipe with butter it will look like this for a minute or so and then come back together. This just kept looking worse and worse though. I decided to leave it beating while I did something else and eventually, after maybe 10 min, it actually started to look better. I don't mean good, just better. It was definitely smooth and not curdled looking anymore, but it wasn't very fluffy and it seemed greasy. My husband and I tasted it and found out that it actually looked a lot better than it tasted. It had such a gross fake butter taste that it tasted, well like eating a spoonful of margarine. Yuck! It went straight in the garbage. The taste was so gross that I don't think I even want to try the butter flavored Crisco. Maybe I should just try regular Crisco and instead add extra other flavoring, like vanilla. We'll see!

saberger Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:46am
post #6 of 6

LOL! As my kids would say "eeeewwwwww!!!" I am sorry it didn't work out. But good to know. I wonder if it would help to have it only if it is flavored - like with fresh strawberries to help cut down on the grease and the ick factor. Or have coffee flavored? *shrug shoulders*

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll let you know if I have a chance to experiment or have any ideas for YOU to experiment with icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%