Dicouraged!

Lounge By serene2010 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 2:25am by serene2010

serene2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serene2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

so.. i'm not sure what i'm looking for by writing this down... encouragement? consolation? or just someone to say 'i know how u feel'..
Last night , we were invited to a relatives home ( more precisely my husband's relatives).. so i think, new into cake decorating.. i make coconut cup cakes and margarita butter cream with coconut sprinkles and even a fondant butterfly on each of them ( all from scratch by the way) amd was super excited to have them taste it and tell me how it was ( i really am gud at taking criticism ).. after dinner the cousin brings out delicious cake and i loved it and enjoyed it and totally forgets my cup cakes ... later she remembers and brings them to the table.. none of them even appreciated how they looked.. they didnt even taste it and one who did had no comments what so ever... i felt so low ..and still do.. maybe cake isnt the way to go for me.. and how does one get honest opinions about their recipes? just beats me! or am i totally over looking the fact that there were no comments as 'yuckkk'?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 9

It was really an unfair "test" because they'd already eaten dinner and already had cake.

One thing you might do is what I did at on family Christmas gathering. I made sure everyone knew I was playing with new cake flavors (my first chocolate scratch cake that was NOT the Hershey Cocoa can recipe!) and I wanted everyone to let me know what they thought. Even with all of the traditional Christmas desserts, lots of folks tried a piece of cake so they could let me know.

Dont' be shy. It's your horn. Blow it all you want! thumbs_up.gif

serene2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! and my husband thought the same .. or in his words 'you're judging them( his cousins) too harshly... their stomachs were full and already had desert'... maybe i was! if i need to succeed in this field i should get off my horses and work harder , i suppose.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, since they already had dinner and cake, to add a cupcake on top is a bit much (and I LOVE desserts).

I would make sure people know you are bringing stuff, and if other people brought stuff, just say that it's a new recipe and you would love any feedback on taste, texture, etc.

I will say, though, that I agree that it was kind of rude not to say anything about the decoration. But, you do have to be vocal about what you want. Maybe they didn't because they didn't want to alienate the cousin, who knows.

serene2010 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #5 of 9

i sure hope so christina... but we'll see.. i'm feeling like giving it my all and proving that I can get somewhere in this field.. keep ur fingers crossed for me..

serene2010 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by serene2010

so.. i'm not sure what i'm looking for by writing this down... encouragement? consolation? or just someone to say 'i know how u feel'..
Last night , we were invited to a relatives home ( more precisely my husband's relatives).. so i think, new into cake decorating.. i make coconut cup cakes and margarita butter cream with coconut sprinkles and even a fondant butterfly on each of them ( all from scratch by the way) amd was super excited to have them taste it and tell me how it was ( i really am gud at taking criticism ).. after dinner the cousin brings out delicious cake and i loved it and enjoyed it and totally forgets my cup cakes ... later she remembers and brings them to the table.. none of them even appreciated how they looked.. they didnt even taste it and one who did had no comments what so ever... i felt so low ..and still do.. maybe cake isnt the way to go for me.. and how does one get honest opinions about their recipes? just beats me! or am i totally over looking the fact that there were no comments as 'yuckkk'?

oh oh here are the pictures of those cupcakes... not worth a mention?? really??

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

When that cake came out I would have jumped up and said : "oh yeah, I made some new cupcake flavors for you guys to try... let me grab those too and we will have a dessert feast!"

work it girl!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #8 of 9

Last winter around Christmas, I had a cake tasting party. Around 10 people came over and tried about 6 new flavors I was messing with, and I made up some fun cake games for everyone to play. I wasn't trying to sell anyone anything, it was just a "let's all get together and eat nothing but cake" party. Maybe you could do something like that, just so everyone comes there with the sole focus of tasting and admiring your delicious creations icon_smile.gif

serene2010 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 9

Thank u guys for the words of advice.. i'll going to dry that..
hey sharon... anyone who knows me says i should be more 'out there'.. i guess i should! keep ur fingers crossed for me..
and i love the idea (defygravity) will def try that... will let u know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%