To Flush Or Not To Flush?? Kinda Gross But I Have To Ask.lol

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 5 Dec 2010 , 8:53am by cabecakes

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 49

While on vacation at a rental home a few weeks back there was a sign beside all the toliets.."do not flush tampons we are on a septic system". I then asked her this question, "they mean just the applicator right?" this sign started a discussion between my sister and I about this topic and we were shocked with each others responses.
While i have been flushing tampons (not the applicators, just the cotton) down the toliets since i started menstration, my sister has not. icon_eek.gif No one ever told me otherwise. icon_confused.gif

She told me you are not suppose to do this because it will clog the toliets. icon_confused.gif I was sooo shocked to hear that she never flushes them. She just wraps the cotton and discards in the garbage. Me on the other hand finds this absolutely disgusting and I would never consider to do this unless of course we had a septic system and it was forbidden. While on vacation i had to wrap the used cotton and throw them in the garbage but i found this sooooo gross. thumbsdown.gif

So i figured CC is full of ladies that use tampons, thus i would ask what you do with your tampons.

Do you flush the cotton or wrap them up and discard????
Sorry, I know this may be gross to some, but i had to ask. I'm still convinced my way is the right way.lol

48 replies
babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 49

I'm with you on this one, it get's flushed! I can't imagine anyone wanting to handle a used tampon enough to wrap it and put it in the bin! Ewwww!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 49

I don't flush the cotton, but here's why, lol.

I was one of three females working in a help center, and there was one bathroom. I rarely used the bathroom during a shift, mostly because it was nasty from all the guys (we were all college students). I never had a shift long enough that would require me to use the restroom there.

But one day, the toilet was nastily clogged. BIG TIME! It was disgusting. After a plumber was called, it was determined that the clog was caused by someone flushing tampons down the toilet.

And while I knew for a fact that it wasn't me, it was not longer considered a gross bathroom because of the guys, but because "some girl" was flushing her tampons down the toilet.

Btw, don't flush contraceptives (not BC pills, but the other kind) as those can clog a toilet too. Don't make me tell you about an apartment I rented and the flushing problems I had there. *shakes her head*

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 49

I had never heard of not flushing tampons until my daughter's pediatrician told her not to flush them after she started her period. I think that's just gross and I told her to flush them anyway. I have never had a toilet or pipes get clogged due to that. I used to flush the cardboard applicators, but did find those caused clogs even though they're supposed to be flushable.

I can see that it would fill a septic system faster, but the same arguement could be used for toilet paper as well...

sweetcravings Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by babapeela

I'm with you on this one, it get's flushed! I can't imagine anyone wanting to handle a used tampon enough to wrap it and put it in the bin! Ewwww!

I know it's soooo gross!!! While on vacation i had to do this due to the septic system and it completely grossed me out. Then to think about it sitting in the waste basket to boot..bleck!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 49

Definitely discard. How gross and embarrassing would it be to have the plumber call to unclog your doovey which is covered in your whatsit. Pblurgh!!!

Imagine them all bobbing up and down at the water treatment plant too. Someones gotta fish them out. I figure don't put them there in the first place.

So seriously some people can't handle what's inside them? You do all remember where babies come from right? Hey, they come from *there* too icon_wink.gif

It's called, wait for it............."Hand Washing".

Lucky y'all aren't living in the days when they had to use a bit of material and wash it by hand after each use.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 49
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 49

I rented a bedroom in someone's house when I was 18, and they had to have major plumbing work done because I was flushing tampons. I thought that's what you were supposed to do with them, that's what we had done in my parents' house. The repair bill was something like $5000, and I was a poor college student and couldn't help much with the bill, so they kicked me out. I never flushed another tampon.

When you live in an apartment, a lot of times there's a paragraph in the lease that says that you can't flush sanitary items, and that if the plumbing clogs and it's determined to have come from your unit, you'll be responsible for the repair bill. Once, in an apartment I had, the sewers backed up into the building and my bathtubs were full of sewage and used tampons...I knew they weren't mine because I didn't flush mine, so it was even grosser than you can imagine.

I keep a box of fold-top sandwich baggies in the bathroom drawer. I bag the used ones, tie a knot in the baggie, and throw it in the trash. The baggie keeps it from smelling or from getting the other trash in the wastebasket wet.

While we're talking about drain issues, did you know that you're not supposed to pour grease down the drain? Instead, pour it into a container, let it harden, and throw it in the trash. And if you do a lot of cakes at home, it's hard on your pipes unless you scrape your icing bowls with a spatula until they're just about clean before you wash them.

sweetcravings Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

heh, heh -
HAD to post it - icon_evil.gif
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178151.0 icon_lol.gif ROFL

OMG..what will people think of next.lol icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetcravings Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I rented a bedroom in someone's house when I was 18, and they had to have major plumbing work done because I was flushing tampons. I thought that's what you were supposed to do with them, that's what we had done in my parents' house. The repair bill was something like $5000, and I was a poor college student and couldn't help much with the bill, so they kicked me out. I never flushed another tampon.

When you live in an apartment, a lot of times there's a paragraph in the lease that says that you can't flush sanitary items, and that if the plumbing clogs and it's determined to have come from your unit, you'll be responsible for the repair bill. Once, in an apartment I had, the sewers backed up into the building and my bathtubs were full of sewage and used tampons...I knew they weren't mine because I didn't flush mine, so it was even grosser than you can imagine.

I keep a box of fold-top sandwich baggies in the bathroom drawer. I bag the used ones, tie a knot in the baggie, and throw it in the trash. The baggie keeps it from smelling or from getting the other trash in the wastebasket wet.

While we're talking about drain issues, did you know that you're not supposed to pour grease down the drain? Instead, pour it into a container, let it harden, and throw it in the trash. And if you do a lot of cakes at home, it's hard on your pipes unless you scrape your icing bowls with a spatula until they're just about clean before you wash them.

Wow, I never realized that silly little piece of cotton could cause so many problems. I mean, i've been flushing them for years and never had problems. This has certainly made me think about wether or not i should continue this practise. We certainly couldn't afford that type of repair bill right now. I think i like your baggie idea best thus far. That way you really don't have to handle the cotton and like you said it doesn't make a mess in the garbage. Still the whole thought of that makes me squirm.lol By no means am i afraid of blood and such but it just seems to me very nasty trying to wrap up that used cotton. Your baggie idea may just be the alternative i'm looking for.

Yes, i had heard about the grease in the drains. I don't put any down the drains.

I'm still kinda shocked how many of you thus far don't flush them. I guess you learn something new everyday. lol

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 49

You could also use the scented bags they sell for diaper disposal...those aren't see-through like the sandwich bags, if you're bothered by things like that.

From what I understand, most of the problem comes when tree roots have grown through the pipes. It makes it narrower and the tampons don't break down into something that can ooze or flow past the narrow parts of the pipe.

When you think about it, disposing of a tampon in a bag isn't any grosser than picking up after the dog on a walk icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 49

I always flushed them when I used them, but I use a Diva Cup now. Much easier and more cost effective!

www.divacup.com

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 49

I have always discarded them in the garbage can. So many businesses have signs asking you to do so. Think about it this way, how does a tampon work? As it absorbs liquid it expands, thus keeping the fluid from flowing past the tampon. So when you flush the cotton, it absorbs more water and expands further, clogging the pipes.

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 49

I know I just posted, but the question made me curious. I went to the Tampax website, and this is what they have there...

"Can I flush the wrapper and tampon?

We recommend that the wrapper (and the applicator) be disposed of in the trash. But you can flush the tampon. For best results, flush the tampon separately from bath tissue. Frequent flushing is not recommended for septic systems."

So I guess they are flushable!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #15 of 49

Ewwww! Flush, flush, flush!!! Never had any septic issues.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:49am
post #16 of 49

I've been a flusher since 1981 with no problems!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:37pm
post #17 of 49

Okay my mom always trashes and I always flush! The instrustions say you can flush them....however we have a plumber friend who says it's a big no no! But I will not be doing anymore flushing because I am going to get this DIVACUP! I never knew there was such a thing but is seems so much easier!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

Okay my mom always trashes and I always flush! The instrustions say you can flush them....however we have a plumber friend who says it's a big no no! But I will not be doing anymore flushing because I am going to get this DIVACUP! I never knew there was such a thing but is seems so much easier!

I love mine! There is a learning curve with it....making sure you get it placed correctly. After you figure out where to place it so there's no leaking, it's great! You can swim without worries, travel, whatever!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #19 of 49

I'm on a septic system and we had one growing up, so I grew up not flushing them. I just have some toliet paper ready to go and it really isn't an issue. Yeah periods are gross, but I don't see how it is any less gross just tossing it in the toliet either. Tampons to me are no more or no less gross than using a pad, well I take that back, I think a pad is more gross.

It's a habit for me now so anywhere I go, I usually throw them out rather than flush. Part of it has to do problems with possible clogs, the other issue is that they add up over time and I could see it leading to having to have your septic tank emptied sooner. I mean think about it. I've had my period more than half of my life. That is alot of tampons to have had to flush.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 49

OH NO, we grew up on a septic tank, and you DO NOT flush on a septic tank. Absolutely not. When we first started using (and flushing because we didn't know better, and parents didn't realize we had to be told not to) the toilets backed up into the house one day (and other stuff besides water) and my poor dad had to take the top off of the line and what do you know, when they started pumping a septic tank full of used tampons (and everything else) regurgitated into the lawn. He was NOT a happy camper to have to clean up that mess. So we learned very fast not to flush them. (He said if it happened again it was our mess to clean up.) If you're on city water it's a different story I guess? But absolutely not on a septic tank!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #21 of 49
Quote:

heh, heh -

OH good grief!! If my mother sees that she will crochet the hell out of them!!! I can see tons of them in christmas stockings !!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif roflmao

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

heh, heh -

OH good grief!! If my mother sees that she will crochet the hell out of them!!! I can see tons of them in christmas stockings !!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif roflmao

lol at the christmas stocking idea

sweetcravings Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

heh, heh -

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #24 of 49

I've always lived with a septic tank and I've always flushed. This thread is the first time I've heard anything about NOT flushing.

Divacup -- have heard of it, but isn't it messy as all heck to change or dump? Seems to me you'd be saving it all up for one gigantic nasty mess later. Obviously, I'm hoping only the people who can stand reading about this stuff will have been willing to open this thread.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:55am
post #25 of 49

I definitely flush them at my house and have never had problems (I flush the cotton, but trash the wrapper and applicator), but my mother-in-law tells me not to flush any of it at her house because of septic issues.

This DivaCup has me intrigued!! I see they're sold at WholeFoods. I think I'll pick one up next time I'm there!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm
post #26 of 49

Here it is never flush!! Was taught that at a very early age. There was 5 of us girls at home and we were taught never to flush. Or we would have to handle the mess with the septic system!! Believe me you only have to see the septic back up once and you will never flush again.

I'm grossed out about washing and boiling the diva cup. But have started using the instead, which is disposable. Very comfortable, but still use a tampon when my flow is at its heaviest and i have to work (bathroom facilities being what they are). www.softcup.com for more info.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:32pm
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I'm grossed out about washing and boiling the diva cup. But have started using the instead, which is disposable. Very comfortable, but still use a tampon when my flow is at its heaviest and i have to work (bathroom facilities being what they are). www.softcup.com for more info.

I tried those before but they were just one big mess for me. I've thought about buying the diva cup, but spending $30 and not knowing if it's going to work for me is kind of a problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:44am
post #28 of 49

I'm a "been flushing for 30 years" gal. Anytime I see a sign about not flushing, I just assumed its because they had a suck water system and not a "regular" one like everyone else! Since I've been flushing for decades with no problem, then my assumption is "it's not the tampon ..... it's your water/sewer/septic system that isn't up to par".

I used to manage a warehouse in Nogales, AZ, which is right on the Mexico border. Most of our employees lived in Mexico where it's habit to not even flush toilet paper because of the poor septic/sewer systems. My on-site manager (a feisty redhead lady from Chicago!) chewed everyone out because she went to clean the bathroom and the smell was horrible from all of the guys putting their toilet paper in the trash can. She told them:

"This is the United States side of the border and we WILL flush our paper products down the toilet like they are suppose to be! I will NOT EVER clean a bathroom that looks like that again!"

My point to the long drawn out story is according to "some" plumber in the southern hemisphere, even toilet paper shouldn't be flushed.

But that depends on what toilet system you're talking about.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:21am
post #29 of 49

We have a septic tank with a leach bed and an aerator (sp?). The person who installed it said definitely don't flush them because the strings get caught on the aerator and break it. Since it's over $500 to replace it, it's definitely a toss in this casa.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:57am
post #30 of 49

I've always flushed. When we bought our first house we lived in it a few weeks before I got my period. So I flushed. And guess what? The dang thing clogged the toilet. So, the plumber shows up. He was older than dirt. When he got the toilet unclogged he said "well I'll be damned! Look what caused your clog! A rat! And he musta been in there for awhile since his head and feet are all decomposed!" AAAhhhhhhh, there he stood, holding the tampon by the string thinking it was a rat!!! I was mortified but at the same time glad that he didn't know what it really was!! Sorry, I know that was gross but I just had to post it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%