How Do I Make Fondant Border Look Like Bamboo?

Decorating By jjpow Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm by BuncoHappens

jjpow Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for this saturday, and the client requested a bamboo border like the one posted. The cake is three tier, and BIG! i have to deliver in my little honda a half hour away. I was wondering how i could achieve that look in the easiest way, and also, if i should take the cake in the three seperate sections, and set it up once i am at the home. The only problem with that is, if i make the bamboo border ahead of time, it would dry out and not wrap around the cake. Does that make sense? any suggestions?? please and thank you! I have been thinking about this before bed for three days. icon_confused.gifImage[/img]

5 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 6

Possibly a long rope sculpted then painted to resemble baboo? Otherwise I would guess a mold.

If you make your cakeboards just a bit larger than the cake but smaller than the width the boarder on (say 1/2 width of the border) the bamboo trim could attach to the cake and sit on the board, supporting it for tansfer and assembly.

Sorry, can't help you on the transport, I've never made a cake that big. But I understand if you have an excellent support system you can transport in one stack. Maybe stack bottom and middle then add top at the local?

HTH

jjpow Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 6

thank you for your help! i dont know why i didnt think of the doing the border that way. Ill practice the bamboo before hand though!!

duncanfamily Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 6

Hi there have a look at this other post http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-37749-.html hope this helps

Motorhead Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

i made bambo after watching a very helpful video on youtube (i'll look for it and post for you!) it's actually quite easy to do, i used it on my retirement cake (beach themed) and looked very realistic (although mine was not green but brown). you just roll sections, slice off at variying lenghts, then i used a ball tool to mark the ends then applied an edible glue and stuck two pieces together. using brown at the joints for coloring and washed the color down the lenght of the bamboo. looks real. hth thumbs_up.gif

BuncoHappens Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6

Is this picture from someone here on CC? I'd love to add it to my favorites!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%