Any Tips On Keeping A Cake From Drooping/sagging W/fillings

Decorating By nanacakez Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm by nanacakez

nanacakez Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 5

I havea question for all my fellow cake decorators......Im making a wedding cake this weekend, three tiers round, stacked with fillings, I always add the proper supports, either wooden or hollow plastic dowels, but havent done it yet with fillings, just a little nervous i guess, i want to prevent droopin/sagging at all costs. btw....the cake will be covered in fondant, and will be in an ac controlled climate. Ant tips???

4 replies
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

not sure what you mean by drooping or sagging. As long as you don't put to much filling in between the layers you won't have any issues, and then if you did your issues would be the layers sliding (not the tiers, as these are supported with your structure)

sandy1 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

I like to make a stiff dam using cake scraps mixed with butter creme icing. I squeeze a dam of this thick mixture about 1/4 inch from the outer edge. I place my filling to just below the lip of the dam then place the 2nd layer on top of the dam. Once this is done, I take plain butter creme to fill the gap between the layers of cake and the dam. I then dirty ice the cake and let the cake sit for a few hours, allowing it to settle. If there is any bulging between the layers I just use a spatula and remove the excess icing. HTH icon_smile.gif

nanacakez Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much all, i think in the past ive been heavy handed with the fillings, so ill make sure not to fill too much, and i'll be fine. Wish me luck! Thanks again!!!!

nanacakez Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 5

Quick question, do any of you know if it makes a difference if i put hollow plastic dowels, or wooden dowels as support. I tend to like the plastic hollow dowels for heavier tiers as i feel theres no room for error. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%