Stacking A Funfetti Boxed Mix Cake?

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm by JulieMN

Erin3085 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 4

I posted this in the wrong forum originally, I think. Sorry!

I'm making this cake this weekend for a 4th birthday party, minus the top layer of cake, and covered with BC and fondant details instead of all fondant: http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/4th-birthday-princess-crown-cake-2010-01-23.htm

The girl wants a Pillsbury funfetti mix cake. My question would be, is that cake a little too spongey to stack and hold up to the decorations and crown? This is my first cake for someone who isn't family or a close friend so I want it to go well, and I'm trying to cover all of my bases ahead of time! I haven't made a funfetti cake in a long time so I can't remember if it is a really light spongey cake or not. Anyone have any experience with stacking one and if so, any tips?

Also, any ideas on what I could use as a base besides the wilton cake bases? Trying to find something a little closer to home than the 45-min trip to our closest Michaels!

Thank you in advance! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

funfetti is just a white cake. I use box mixes often and have no issues. If you're worried about the weight of the crown then you can add supports under it. As for stacking. It's all in your support system, it doesn't matter what type of cake you use.

Kimmers971 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 4

Add an extra egg, it helps make it a little denser. Otherwise you should be able to stack it as long as you use supports to hold each tier. It isn't cake holding up each tier, it's the support system you use. Good Luck!

JulieMN Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

funfetti is just a white cake. I use box mixes often and have no issues. If you're worried about the weight of the crown then you can add supports under it. As for stacking. It's all in your support system, it doesn't matter what type of cake you use.

Ditto!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%