Stacking A Funfetti Boxed-Mix Cake?

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 11:53am by iCookiBake

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making the attached link's cake this weekend for a 4th birthday party, minus the top layer of cake, and covered with BC and fondant details instead of all fondant.

The girl wants a Pillsbury funfetti mix cake. My question would be, is that cake a little too spongey to stack and hold up to the decorations and crown? This is my first cake for someone who isn't family or a close friend so I want it to go well, and I'm trying to cover all of my bases ahead of time! I haven't made a funfetti cake in a long time so I can't remember if it is a really light spongey cake or not. Anyone have any experience with stacking one and if so, any tips? Thank you in advance! icon_smile.gif

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/4th-birthday-princess-crown-cake-2010-01-23.htm

(SN: I think this may be thr wrong forum for this question? I don't see how to move it so I reposted in the How Do I forum. Sorry! icon_redface.gif )

6 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 7

I just used the BC party chip and doctored it with pudding and sour cream for the owl cakes in my pics. It came out just like any other white cake that I make. I don't use Pillsbury as I have never had any luck with that brand. I hope someone can help you on that brand but if not the BC worked great. HTH and good luck.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 7

Definately not a problem! icon_smile.gif It can easily be stacked.
IndyDebi had a responce to a similar ? back awhile ago. Her response was something along this line:

You can stack layers of whipped cream with the proper support system.
The proper support system for this cake will depend on the size of the tiers and how (method and distance) it will be transported.
Are you delivering? Have you ever made a stacked, tiered cake before? If so, what did you use for doweling?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

If you use supports, you can stack anything you want--it really has nothing to do with the cake.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Are you delivering? Have you ever made a stacked, tiered cake before? If so, what did you use for doweling?

I am delivering it about 30 mins away from home in the back of my grand cherokee. I haven't decided yet whether to stack and deliver or deliver and stack on site. I have made several tiered cakes before with no problems, and I have used drinking straws, dowel rods or lollipop sticks for supports, along with boards between each layer. I don't normally do a long center rod thru each tier for 2-tiers but I plan to with this one since Im driving it so far. Only thing I am worried about with this one is the top layer shifting the dowels underneath and cracking the cake! It has never happened to me before but I have never delivered a cake so far away before, either, and I have never used a Pillsbury cake mix for tiers. I don't really know their texture.

acakes215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakes215 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 2:49am
post #6 of 7

ACan the funfetti cake be crumb coated and cover with fondant and stacked with proper support? Would the fondant be too heavy for the cake?

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 11:53am
post #7 of 7

I think stacking it should be fine, you're not the first person on CC to use box cake mixes for a 2 or 3 tier cake, I'm sure. I use box mixes as it's easy and you always get a good tasting cake (IMO). But like someone else mentioned you could doctor it up, and as long as its properly supported it shouldn't be a problem.

That cake is gorgeous! can't wait to see your version of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%