Homemade Cake Stand Ideas

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm by wilsonar

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 11

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for making homemade cake stands out of different found objects and craft items.

I am making three separate one tier, 9 in square wedding cakes for my dad's wedding and wanted to put them on stands of different heights. I was thinking of trying to stack those Styrofoam squares sold at craft stores and then covering them with fabric...

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks!

10 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of wedding.. formal? Informal, indoors, or outdoors? Theme?

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 11

I am doing a wedding cake this coming weekend for a bride who gave me a cake stand she made with a wide glass candle stand and a large vintage glass round platter that is about 14 or 15 inches wide. She glued the platter on top of the candle stand with glass glue and I have to say it looks beautiful and is very sturdy. She picked up the stand at Hobby Lobby and the platter at Goodwill. I also did a wedding cake in which different heights of pillar candle stands with foam core boards glued to the tops was used. They used clear silicone caulking for glue, painted everything the same color with spray paint. They worked great and looked very elegant.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 11

I used candle holders of different heights on this display. I've seen a lot of stands that are glued plates on candle holders or just use form core decorated with ribbon.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry don't know what happen to pic. they were black iron candle holders in three different heights.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with khoudek. I once needed 25 cake plates for a wedding. I bought cheap glass plates and turned glass sundae cups over. I glued them together and it looked beautiful. They were about $1.50 each.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

I agree with khoudek. I once needed 25 cake plates for a wedding. I bought cheap glass plates and turned glass sundae cups over. I glued them together and it looked beautiful. They were about $1.50 each.

thumbs_up.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 11

I love this idea of using these sorts of re-purposed items as a cake stand. But for those of you who have used a plate or platter as the cake base, does the slightly concave shape of the plate/platter impact your cake? Does it make it buckle or cause any other problems?

wilsonar Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 11

Those sound like great ideas! I guess I just need to go take a look at Michael's for wide candle holders and goodwill for glass plates. The wedding is really small and the reception is at a nice restaurant, but they want everything to be fairly simple...

The cakes are going to be light green with a magnolia branch pattern from their invitations painted on the sides and a gumpaste magnolia on top.

Would it be ok to put the cake on a plate if it is spray painted (I will have it on a cake round)?

Thanks for the ideas!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:24am
post #10 of 11

karabeal, the platter that the bride used was inverted. The part where the cake goes is 14" wide and then the lip part starts, so yes I think you'd have to consider that. Definitely couldn't do it for huge cakes. Wilsonar, the boards were spray painted and then a poly finish was sprayed on. The cake was on a board as well though too, so it didn't touch the spray painted board. I don't think I'd put the cake right on the painted surface, just in case.

wilsonar Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 11

That makes sense. I like the idea of the inverted glass platter... I wonder if they would have cheap one at the dollar store or plastic ones that are made to look like glass?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%