Help W/ Sugar Windshield.

Sugar Work By taste Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm by Herekittykitty

taste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taste Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all...
I'm making a replica of a porche and wanted to make the windows, headlights and windshield out of poured sugar...any suggestions on how to get the shapes? I don't have a mold. Can I make one? if so w/ what?
any hint as to how to get the curvature of the windsheild? much appreciated.

2 replies
babapeela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babapeela Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 3

I'm afraid I can't help with how to do it, but I can give you a few pointers on what NOT to do!

I tried various methods without success for my Dad's Reliant Scimitar cake. I tried using pastry and thick card as a mould/template. I tried melting and then cutting before completely hard.

Hope someone with a bit more experience can help you with a solution!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 3

Try asking Dominic at Make your own Molds dot com. They have a section in the forums.

Working with poured sugar is tough. I made sugar walls for my terrarium cake and it took several batches and variations of home made molds (wish I had know about Dominic's product) to get viable walls and they still didn't turn out the way I wanted. You can cut poured sugar before it hardens but this is a very very fine line and if you cut too early it will ooze, too late and it will crack.

Hmmm, reading back that wasn't very helpful was it? Sorry. icon_redface.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%