Can A Cake Be Mailed?

Decorating By sweetooth94 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm by sweetooth94

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever mailed a cake? I was setting up a baby shower cake on Saturday and a friend of the mother-to-be was there decorating the venue. She was from out of state and had flown in for the shower. She asked if I had ever shipped a cake before. I just laughed and said I didn't know if it was even possible, but next time she came to town (if she drove) to order a cake and I'd have it ready for her to drive back with her when she left.

Well, the mother-to-be sent me a message this morning saying what a hit the cake was (after it was cut and eaten) and she also had family in from out of town wanting to know if I could make their daughters BD cake in November and ship it to them across the state... Can this even be done???

I don't want to turn away the order if it is possible, but... I wanted to see what everyone on here had to say. I hate transporting a cake in THE CAR (my husband refuses to drive if we're delivering a cake - LOL!!) - I can't imagine putting one it a box and flying it somewhere!!

4 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

Here's a link to an album on my Facebook fan page, titled...."Why I don't ship cakes!"
I packed this thing so well, and still....it arrived looking horrible!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lexington-KY/She-Bakes-Cakes/183660505329?v=photos&ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=231077&id=183660505329

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 5

I have shipped a couple of King's Cakes during Mardi Gras, they were easy to pack giving the fact they're not decorated and are made out of something closer to a bread dough rather than a cake batter. I also shipped a bundt cake once to a family member and it arrived in 'ok' shape.

A decorated cake--in the hands of the Post Office--NO WAY would I even consider it. I've watched packages marked "fragile" be tossed 10 feet to a big bag to go onto a truck. If that's how they'll handle it in front of you, imagine the fun once you're out of sight!

sweetooth94 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 5

greengyrl... That's what I thought!! You know all the time that goes into doing a cake. I would feel sick if it didn't arrive like I shipped it.

sweetooth94 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 5

A friend of mine's sister worked for UPS and she said the same thing. Fragile means nothing when they're loading and unloading trucks. I didn't think this was possible, but have seen bakeries advertise that they're cakes can be shipped. Wonder how they do it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%