Fondx Elite ?

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm by shara37

neelycharmed Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:23am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I was wondering if fondx elite is worth the extra cost???
I use fondx, but the elite is $18.00 for 2lbs...
the taste is much better then satin ice.. But i'm wondering if you lovely people use it as well. icon_smile.gif
Jodi

7 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:15am
post #2 of 8

I bought two containers thinking I would love it. I actually don't like the taste. It's almost fruity? As far as workability, I had trouble with it tearing. It was really really soft. Maybe it's just me, but I won't buy it again...

shara37 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

After taking with Cal Java's John Bush the makers of FondX. I found out the flavor is white chocolate raspberry. This should be listed on the label and people SHOULD know that it is a Raspberry Flavor. I was very angry to find out this fondant was not vanilla flavored! like it says on the label! What would have been horrifying is trusting it to be vanilla if I had put this on a spice cake! Do not waste your money on this stuff!

cupadeecakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 8

There are going to be as many opinions as we have members on this site! I won't even discuss the flavors at this time because I am not eating it, I am working with it and spending my supply budget on it.

Out of the tub, the Elite is much softer than most products and does not need to be warmed in the microwave at all. I can roll it out with little effort AND roll it very thin. This not only saves money, but since most customers don't like fondant, of any kind because of it's texture not taste, it's better to have less of it.

I have covered a cake in the ivory and liked working with it much better than Satin Ice, Pettinice, or Choco-pan (loves CP's taste!) Elite doesn't dry out or crack like other icings.

I used a couple of tubs of black Elite for a dog shaped cake a little while back and it was the best of the Elite. Now you may think i'm silly but the black was more strechy and saved my butt at 2am while making that cake. It stretched and I pulled and it never tore. Again, maybe I got a batch infused with comic book qualities, but it became my black forever that night! It goes on sale occasionally, so stock up!

shara37 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 8

You have to worry about flavor as raspberry does not go with everything. It's workability is not in questions but the white chocolate and my icing have never gotten along well and it was finding out after the fact that is was raspberry that I am calling into question.

cupadeecakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shara37

You have to worry about flavor as raspberry does not go with everything. It's workability is not in questions but the white chocolate and my icing have never gotten along well and it was finding out after the fact that is was raspberry that I am calling into question.

I think we made a great tag team! You addressed the taste and I dealt with other stuff. Maybe we both gave plenty of good information about Elite. Thanks for the taste info, I had no idea that's what flavor it was. icon_biggrin.gif

BakerMan83 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 8

Wait a minute. I just talked to Cal Java and they know nothing about this raspberry flavored claim!!! It is white chocolate based and says so on the tub. I'm not sure you are thinking of the right product shara37

shara37 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 8

It is the artificial flavor in the white chocolate. If
They are claming not to know they are lying and maybe the FDA needs to be called if they are lying. It is not vanilla favoring only and I have John bushes word they will change the label

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%