Starting Decorating With Shaped Pans

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm by Molly2

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 12

Hi! What do you all think of starting cake decorating using the shaped pans (cartoon characters, etc). Are these good for a beginner? I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 via Craigs List or Ebay to try them out.
Any tips... is this a good idea or not? I don't intend to go into full on cake decorating but would like the option of making a cute cake, mostly for kids' birthdays.

Thanks! Maria

11 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 12

I've been decorating for a little over a year and I have way too many character pans that I have never used and probably never will use. The only wilton pans that I find usefull would be the football, soccar ball and baseball pans but that's just me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:49am
post #3 of 12

A lot of the shaped pans can't be used to make cakes to sell because of copyright laws. You can tell because they're all marked "home use only" or something like that.

Laws aside, those character cake pans are a real PITA. I can't imagine anything worse than having to fill in all those little stars. It's true that anyone can do them, but it won't grow your skills in any direction other than how to pipe a million stars without your hand wanting to fall off.

If you want something easy to start with, but good to build on in the future, why don't you look into taking a Wilton class? They don't cost much and it's a good way to learn the basics.

MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:00am
post #4 of 12

okay, thanks for the tips! I was only going to use the character pans for my kids, and maybe some of the others (baby buggy, soccer ball) to sell. But maybe I should look into taking a class instead.
Thanks again!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:19am
post #5 of 12

Thats the way I started I had a lot of fun making cakes like that I only do this as a hobby my first cake was a Winnie the pooh shaped cake pan and I went from their I still make character cake sometimes. In fact I found a Sesame Street pan at Michaels this weekend for $0.59 Abby Cadabby pan I was thrilled I plan to make it and give it away I say go for it your kids will love it because you made it. thumbs_up.gif its good practice I myself have never taken any decorating classes I started with character pan cake decorating and went from their I learned a lot from this website and other websites. Like I said I only do this as a hobby. I will add after that first Winnie the Pooh cake I was hooked on cake decorating

Molly icon_smile.gif

MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 12

wow, molly2, I can't believe you've never taken a class! your cakes are awesome!
I'm still thinking about the shaped pans, but there's also a 6 week beginners course starting in Sept. at my local cake/candy supply store that I've heard good things about. I may do both!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 12

I have some character pans and may only use them once or twice, so depending on the price sometimes it's not worth it. They work fine, no problem releasing the cake and you don't have to cover it in little stars. You can ice in anyway that works for you or even cover in fondant. Have fun!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 12

I have the sports balls pans- everything else I just cut and shape. Its easier for me. But if you just want to practice and use them as a guide, then sure- get them.

I only got the soccer and football pans because I was making a HUGE cake, and already baking soo many cakes that day (had 5 due that weekend) that I didnt want to take the time or have the extra cake from carving out the balls.

Once I iced them, the indents and guidelines were gone- I had to just eye where they were supposed to go.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 12

I would advise against it. Practice with them, keep them private, and when you can do cakes that don't remotely resemble anything the typical hobby baker can do, THEN promote your work. It's just a fact, nothing personal, cakes like that no matter how well done scream inexpensive, easy, and typical. Set the bar high right from the get go, as you will fight the stigma of what I described for a long time when it comes to justifying prices.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, I misunderstood your intent. So that doesn't really apply. However it is still very valid for other situations.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

I have tons of character pans and I've been doing this for yrs. I love them. Like it was said all ready they are easy to use and you don't have to cover them in stars. I love making them, and taking them church on Sundays for the kids. And I don't think that they look cheap at all. I've seen some people make some beautiful cakes out of the character pans. Thats my opion anyway. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 12

Thank You! MariaK38 like I said I only do this as a hobby I don't do it to make money I started when my son was very young. But because I made it he loved it and I started using the character pans at the begin of my cake decorating hobby which later made me want to venture out to try more techniques that I learned watching YouTube and other cake sites. My nephew came along 10yrs later and so I continued cake decorating to make cakes for all of my nephews birthdays and he gets a big kick out of it now every year he tells me in advance what kind of cake he wants for his birthday and looks forward to see what I come up with he is also proud to see what I'm going to show up with at all his school parties. You don't have to go buy a ton of pans just a couple and if you look on the clearance rack you may find some very inexpensive one. Good Luck and Happy Cake Decorating.

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%