Gold & Silver Colors , Help Please

Decorating By curlsandcrowns Updated 24 Dec 2014 , 6:21pm by Chloezee

curlsandcrowns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlsandcrowns Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so how do i make fondant the saints gold for decorations. And how do i get the silver shiny for an anniversary cake ( just an example ) I would like to know how to make these two colors. i know the fondant wont be shiny as i am rolling, but could some one explain the steps to get to the shiny part . from beginning to end. What color fondant to start with, and add what color, then possibly spray with a shine mist ?
thanks in advance

4 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 5

There are edible luster dusts that come in bright gold and antique gold and nusilver. You mix with vodka or lemon extract and apply to cake. For the shine I've seen them use steam or add water with clear syrup and brush it down.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

Ditto on the luster dust w/vodka or lemon extract. Just wanted to add- for silver I would start out with a gray fondant and for gold I would start out with a shade of yellow, before painting.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 5

I have a photo on my 'photos' page that has gold, fondant and gumpaste decorations on a cake. I used vodka with simple gold dust, I started with white fondant, and it's still a brilliant gold color.
I see Buddy Valastro using a steam machine quite often on 'the cake boss' but if you don't have an easy way to steam the whole cake, an easy way to give your fondant a bit more luster is to use a large paint brush and some thinned out tylose glue...I use vodka with the tylose glue so that there isn't too much moisture laying on top of the fondant. I don't like it when my fondant gets dull and dusty looking after I have it attached to the cake...so, I also tried to find an easy way to get some shine back onto the fondant!!

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 5

I know this is 7 years later but, I've done all that and everything works, except don't make the mistake to steam once you have flowers and other embellishments on, they will start bleeding onto your cake. I'd say first steam the naked fondanted cake and then do what else is needed. Oops very late post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%