Finish The Space Between Two Tiers?

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:10am by starrcakes

julesh268 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 9

I have stacked a lot of cakes and usually have a border around the two tiers or they are done in fondont and look finished. However, I am doing a bc wedding cake. My practice cake is done (maybe I will show pictures but I am not ready for the CC yet). My biggest issue was the space between the bottom of the tier on top and the bottom tier. There is the cardboard circle and the seperator plate. Is the only option to put a border around it to hide the area?

8 replies
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 9

what did you use for supports? To me it sounds like your dowels were taller than your bottom cake so that there was a gap.

What size is the cake? (and what brand pans did you bake in?)
What size is the cardboard?
What size is the seperator plate your using?

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:32am
post #3 of 9

how big is the gap?

leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 9

after re-reading your post this morning (after some much needed sleep) i realize that you were just stating that the cake board and plate where being used, for some reason last night i was thinking that they were showing (which would mean they were bigger than the cake) but this has nothing to do with the gap, don't know why i was thinking it did.

julesh268 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

how big is the gap?

Small, like a crack, but you can see the plate and the cardboard. My icing came the the edge of both so you see the 1/8 of an inch of cardboard 1/8 of an inche of seperator plate, and then a small crack where the plate didn't touch the cake in a spot (my error). But what do you do to cover the cardboard and plate?

I am not sure I made myself clear in my first post. Maybe this is better (maybe not)

julesh268 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

after re-reading your post this morning (after some much needed sleep) i realize that you were just stating that the cake board and plate where being used, for some reason last night i was thinking that they were showing (which would mean they were bigger than the cake) but this has nothing to do with the gap, don't know why i was thinking it did.

Thanks for responding! I am not sure I was clear in my first post. I was also very tired!

starrcakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:50am
post #7 of 9

I'd just pipe the same colored buttercream into the crack and you can smooth it out with your finger or the edge of an icing smoother. Are you putting a ribbon or anything else on it?

julesh268 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrcakes

I'd just pipe the same colored buttercream into the crack and you can smooth it out with your finger or the edge of an icing smoother. Are you putting a ribbon or anything else on it?

Yes, a ribbon. After I have tossed this issue around in my head for 2 days I came up with the same solution as you have suggested (thank you!) and will do that when I do the real wedding cake.

starrcakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #9 of 9

Great! I did the same on my last wedding cake and it turned out beautifully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%