Pecan Turtles

Sugar Work By MariaK38 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm by jade8

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 9

hi all! I'm going to be making turtles soon. when using chocolate for these, do you just use melted chocolate chips or the dipping chocolate, like Merckens? I use Merckens for everything else.

thanks! Maria

8 replies
klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 9

I have used both, I like the taste of the chocolate chips better, but they "set" a little softer, so if you live where it is hot and humid, I would use the Merckens, they are more solid.

MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 9

thank you!

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:18am
post #4 of 9

Ooh send me the extras, one of my favorites.

MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:57am
post #5 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif sure, casme! But around my house, there won't be any extras!

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:51am
post #6 of 9

Ooh!! These are one of my most favorite candies. When my kids were little, I'd tell them that they were real chocolate covered turtles so that no one would want any but me!! Evil -- I know!!

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 9

Yummy!! My very favorite candy of all times!!! Do you have a receipe that you wouldn't mind sharing?

MariaK38 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 9

hi!
no specific recipe... just arrange the pecans, put some Peter's caramel on them (in a ball or melted and through a funnel, not sure which I'm doing yet), and chocolate on top. I know some people make their own caramel, but I'm not that confident in my candy making skills yet!

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 9

i hope you dont mind my chiming in here but some time ago i saw a recipe that said you can cook a can of condensed milk for like 2 hours on low with water covering it and then open and spoon out, arrange the pecans on and cover in choc. when cooled. the milk turns into a thick creamy caramel like dolce de leche.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%