Stacking A Cake

Decorating By veghed Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm by julesh268

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

I have been reluctant to ask how to stack a cake because everyone seems to already know how and I pretty much think it's done by magic.

But here I go.

I watched Edna's tutorial and it was very informative, but I do have question that, to me, seems stupid to ask. Is there some sort of cardboard between each layer?

How do you serve a layered cake? Do you take off each layer and then slice it?

5 replies
julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 6

I don't blame you for being intimidated here. You are either welcomed with open arms, ignored, or treated like an idiot.

But. I am new too so I would love to help you with your question!

I make each tier on a piece of cardboard to fit the cake. So, a 6" circle for a 6" cake. Then once you have the seperator plate on your bottom layer you put a little icing on it and slide the top layer onto the seperator plate.

As for serving, yes, the layers would be taken off to allow for cutting.

Welcome and good luck!

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesh268

I make each tier on a piece of cardboard to fit the cake. So, a 6" circle for a 6" cake. Then once you have the seperator plate on your bottom layer you put a little icing on it and slide the top layer onto the seperator plate.

What is a separator plate as opposed to a cardboard circle? Does the cardboard stay on the cake bottom?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

Veghed,
I'm new here, too. Edna's video is helpful, but it doesn't cover everything. Wilton has a book out called "Tiered Cakes" that has a whole section of how-tos that helped me make my first stacked cake...I highly recommend it!

But to answer your question, YES, there is a cardboard cake round under each tier....without it, the tier would sink into the one beneath it. The dowels cannot provide support without the cake round. Separator plates have a different purpose...they are usually hard plastic rounds that rest on pillars, which creates a space between the layers.

Seriously, you need a basic cake decorating book to get you started. Peruse some of the offerings at Amazon and visit your local library to see what they have. Walmart stores usually have a cake decorating section with Wilton supplies and books. Have fun practicing and good luck!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 6

Oh, forgot to add:
Sharon Zambito has an awesome dvd called "Successful Stacking" which answers just about every question you could ever have about tiered cakes. All of her dvd's are phenomenal!!

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

Veghed- I have stacked cakes using only the cardboard and then wooden dowel rod. It is not very sturdy construction. You can you plastic pillars and you cut them to size. Then the plastic seperator plate fits ontop of the pillars.

If you search for SPS instructions you will see how do it using the plastic plate I am talking about.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%