Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By Cargen Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 6:20am by indydebi

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 8

I have someone who asked me to do their wedding cake for March, so thankfully I have plenty of time. It will be a 3-tiered square cake that I think I have decided to do in 14, 10, and 6 inches. They will only have 90 people at the wedding, but I wanted to reserve the top layer for them on their anniversary. I didn't want to do a 12 and a 10 b/c I didn't think that would be a big enough size difference.

The bride is concerned that two flavors (the 14 inch and 10 inch layer) might not give enough choices for people and asked me if it is possible to do 2 flavors in the bottom layer (half and half, side by side, like you can do a sheet cake). I have never had anyone ask me this question and I told her I would find out. Have you ever done this? Is it possible? My concern is it might not be stable enough. What are your thoughts?

7 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 8

A 14" and 10" square would give me 148 servings according to the Wilton serving chart. I would personally go with a 10"/8"/6" square which will give you 82 servings of cake and they will keep the top which is not included in the total serving amount. I usually just do all 3 layers in different flavors/fillings if they want a variety.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 8

If you use the SPS system to stack, it won't matter that the bottom tier is in two pieces. In fact, I've seen recommendations to do it that way just to avoid the problem of having to bake really large cakes.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

You can do half and half in one pan. Just pour one batter from one side and the other batter from the other side at the same time and they meet in the middle. I sometimes make a "barrier" with a strip of foil just to keep it neat.

The batter will just meet in the middle..it won't mix. As IndyDebi says...its cake batter, not KoolAid icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

You can do half and half in one pan. Just pour one batter from one side and the other batter from the other side at the same time and they meet in the middle. I sometimes make a "barrier" with a strip of foil just to keep it neat.

The batter will just meet in the middle..it won't mix. As IndyDebi says...its cake batter, not KoolAid icon_smile.gif

ditto, then it's one cake and you won't be worried about it being cut in the middle.

Remind the bride that the more flavors they have though the more servings they'll need. If there are a lot of choices there will probably be people who want to have more than one flavor.
Also, even though she wants 90 servings you need to make sure and charge her for how many the cake serves, not how many people she'll be serving it too.

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:12am
post #6 of 8

I do the opposite of cattycornercakes - I pour the two cake different cake batters from separate bowls in a line down the middle at the same time. They come out with a near perfect line thumbs_up.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 8

I assume you'll use 2 layers of cake for each tier, right....so that each tier is, say, 4" tall if you use 2" pans? So let's say your flavors are vanilla and chocolate. You need (2) 2" layers of vanilla at 7X14 and (2) 2" layers of chocolate at 7x14. So why not bake a 14x2" square of both flavors, cut them in half, put 1 vanilla layer on top of the other (making it 4" tall), same with the chocolate, put both flavors together cut side to cut side, and now you have a 14x4" square, half chocolate and half vanilla cake. Put it on a wooden cake board and it shouldn't crack in the middle. Also keep in mind, if you're frosting the outside with buttercream, make sure both cake flavors pair with the same buttercream flavor.

Hope this makes sense.... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:20am
post #8 of 8

2 flavors wont' be enough? icon_confused.gif Geesh, what would this bride have done "back in the day" when wedding cakes were white? All white? And nothing BUT white?

She sure has some persnickety friends if she thinks two flavors "isnt enough". icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%