Red Velvet& White Chocolate Cream Cheese???

Baking By jleigh982 Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm by thin4life

jleigh982 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 19

I have a request for a red velvet cake, with a "white chocolate cream cheese" filling with fresh strawberries...ok in all honesty, Ive never heard of a white chocolate cream cheese filling, let alone how it ill taste with red velvet...Im already not to much of a fan of red velvet to begin with but i dont want the cake to taste worse because of the filling...anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas?

18 replies
fairmaiden0101 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 19

That is funny because I too have an order for the exact same thing, minus the strawberries for next month! I have been searching for a red velvet cake that will hold up to carving and a white chocolate cream cheesse filling that does not need refrigeration. I too would love any advice or any recipe that would fit. Sorry for jumping in on your thread!!

Annalie Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 19

I love using White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing! It is not as sweet as buttercream and goes well with any flavor cake (especially Whit Chocolate Cake). It would be great with Red Velvet as well.

16 oz Softened Cream Cheese
4 c White Chocolate chips
1/3 c Butter
11/2 t Vanilla
2 c Powdered Sugar

Beat Cream Cheese till soft
Melt Chocolate with butter and add to Chream Cheese
Add Vanilla and Powdered sugar and beat well

Please try it, you would not regret it!

jleigh982 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

That is funny because I too have an order for the exact same thing, minus the strawberries for next month! I have been searching for a red velvet cake that will hold up to carving and a white chocolate cream cheesse filling that does not need refrigeration. I too would love any advice or any recipe that would fit. Sorry for jumping in on your thread!!




NOOOOO problem, the more the better, my guess is that maybe they saw it on one of the "cake shows" and now want it...oh well to each his own but i figured id let my bride know if any one on here had any ill feelings about it taste wise...she wants me to put the filling on and then the strawberries (sliced) on top of the filling... ive done it this way before with a pound cake and french vanilla filling to get the "strawberry short cake" type thing but am a little worried about it with red velvet, and then when she said WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE, i was like HUH?!? lol maybe she knows something i dont know and its actually an amazing combination hahahaha

jleigh982 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalie

I love using White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing! It is not as sweet as buttercream and goes well with any flavor cake (especially Whit Chocolate Cake). It would be great with Red Velvet as well.

16 oz Softened Cream Cheese
4 c White Chocolate chips
1/3 c Butter
11/2 t Vanilla
2 c Powdered Sugar

Beat Cream Cheese till soft
Melt Chocolate with butter and add to Chream Cheese
Add Vanilla and Powdered sugar and beat well

Please try it, you would not regret it!





going to try it tomorrow, thanks a bunch Annalie! i guess i just never thought to mix chocolate with cream cheese but if thats what she wants, thats what she gets lol

mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 19

Here's my White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing using Indydebi's recipe. Just thought I'd share in case you needed an icing that will hold up to heat and humidity.
1 1/3 cup Crisco
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (softened)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
1 + cups half and half (or milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 pounds Sifted powdered sugar
6 ounces Baker's White Chocolate squares (melted and cooled)
Beat Crisco for 10 minutes then add softened cream cheese and beat for and additional 5 minutes. Add Dream Whip, 1 cup half and half (or milk), vanilla and half the sifted powdered sugar. With the mixer running add a cup of powdered sugar at a time until the full 4 pounds has been added. Let mixer run for at least 15 minutes. Add melted, cooled white chocolate and let mixer run another 5 minutes. This is when you'll need to add extra half and half (or milk). Just add until it's the consistency you need. The chocolate thickens the buttercream and I never measure how much more I add. I just add about a teaspoon at a time until I 'get it right'. This icing crust, can be used under fondant and doesn't require refrigeration.


Be sure to use Baker's white chocolate (or any other brand)....the 'white premier chips' that come in the bag like chocolate chips are NOT white chocolate. They are like candy melts. The Baker's has cocoa butter the white baking chips are like candy melts...they aren't chocolate. Whatever brand you use look at the ingredients label....if it doesn't list cocoa butter then it isn't white chocolate.

lorilori Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 19

I've never heard of it, but I'm sure glad your bride asked! I can't wait to give it a try - both recipes posted sound yummy!

jleigh982 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Here's my White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing using Indydebi's recipe. Just thought I'd share in case you needed an icing that will hold up to heat and humidity.
1 1/3 cup Crisco
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (softened)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
1 + cups half and half (or milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 pounds Sifted powdered sugar
6 ounces Baker's White Chocolate squares (melted and cooled)
Beat Crisco for 10 minutes then add softened cream cheese and beat for and additional 5 minutes. Add Dream Whip, 1 cup half and half (or milk), vanilla and half the sifted powdered sugar. With the mixer running add a cup of powdered sugar at a time until the full 4 pounds has been added. Let mixer run for at least 15 minutes. Add melted, cooled white chocolate and let mixer run another 5 minutes. This is when you'll need to add extra half and half (or milk). Just add until it's the consistency you need. The chocolate thickens the buttercream and I never measure how much more I add. I just add about a teaspoon at a time until I 'get it right'. This icing crust, can be used under fondant and doesn't require refrigeration.


Be sure to use Baker's white chocolate (or any other brand)....the 'white premier chips' that come in the bag like chocolate chips are NOT white chocolate. They are like candy melts. The Baker's has cocoa butter the white baking chips are like candy melts...they aren't chocolate. Whatever brand you use look at the ingredients label....if it doesn't list cocoa butter then it isn't white chocolate.





ohhhhh as good as the other one looked, i think i may use THIS one, you had me at "holds up to heat and humidity" having to deal with this texas weather SUCKS and im guessing since it also crust well, i could use some of it to make flowers or borders or something... any idea as to how many cups of frosting this makes?

Jo-melia Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 19

I recently made a cream cheese white choc ganache for a banana cake, it was pretty yummy! I used equal amounts of both cream cheese and cream, it was quite thick though.

mcdonald Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 19

I think I am trying this one too. I have a tasting for red velvet and a white chocolate cake and this icing would be really good!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleigh982

[

ohhhhh as good as the other one looked, i think i may use THIS one, you had me at "holds up to heat and humidity" having to deal with this texas weather SUCKS and im guessing since it also crust well, i could use some of it to make flowers or borders or something... any idea as to how many cups of frosting this makes?




I'm not sure because I never measure anything....LOL...
I do know that it fills my mixer bowl...it's basically a double batch of Indydebi's buttercream with cream cheese and white chocolate.

Chiara Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 19

You can also mix in white chocolate pudding mix into the softened cream cheese recipe and not have to hunt real white chocolate down.

bates123 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 19

These recipes look great, but with cream cheese and half & half don't they require refrigeration?

jleigh982 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates123

These recipes look great, but with cream cheese and half & half don't they require refrigeration?




hmmm thats a good question...now im worried icon_eek.gif

mamawrobin Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleigh982

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates123

These recipes look great, but with cream cheese and half & half don't they require refrigeration?



hmmm thats a good question...now im worried icon_eek.gif




NO....seriously with 4 pounds of powdered sugar to so little milk and cream cheese it's perfectly fine. The sugar acts as a preservative. I don't know how to explain the science behind it but trust me....I wouldn't risk something like that and it DOES NOT require refrigeration. Sugar has been used for hundreds of years to cure meat etc. The amount of cheese and cream to the amount of sugar is what makes it possible to be kept at room temperature. Doug gave a very good scientific explanation as to exactly how the sugar acts to preserve the milk (half and half) and cheese in a forum awhile back...I did a quick search to try and find the link but with the issues that this site seems to be having lately I couldn't do it.
Anyway...rest assured it doesn't require refrigeration. thumbs_up.gif

neelycharmed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:26am
post #16 of 19

thanks for posting the recipes icon_smile.gif
they both sound great... thumbs_up.gif All I need now is a cake to go with it!
Jodi

jleigh982 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 19

thanx a bunch mamawrobin! ladies and gents...i think we've found a winner, and it taste AMAZING!

susanscakecreations Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 19

I just tried this recipe this weekend, and it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! Plus, it makes a TON of icing!!!!!!!! Thanks mamawrobin and indydebi!!!!!!! I have found a keeper!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Here's my White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing using Indydebi's recipe. Just thought I'd share in case you needed an icing that will hold up to heat and humidity.
1 1/3 cup Crisco
1 8 ounce package cream cheese (softened)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
1 + cups half and half (or milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 pounds Sifted powdered sugar
6 ounces Baker's White Chocolate squares (melted and cooled)
Beat Crisco for 10 minutes then add softened cream cheese and beat for and additional 5 minutes. Add Dream Whip, 1 cup half and half (or milk), vanilla and half the sifted powdered sugar. With the mixer running add a cup of powdered sugar at a time until the full 4 pounds has been added. Let mixer run for at least 15 minutes. Add melted, cooled white chocolate and let mixer run another 5 minutes. This is when you'll need to add extra half and half (or milk). Just add until it's the consistency you need. The chocolate thickens the buttercream and I never measure how much more I add. I just add about a teaspoon at a time until I 'get it right'. This icing crust, can be used under fondant and doesn't require refrigeration.


Be sure to use Baker's white chocolate (or any other brand)....the 'white premier chips' that come in the bag like chocolate chips are NOT white chocolate. They are like candy melts. The Baker's has cocoa butter the white baking chips are like candy melts...they aren't chocolate. Whatever brand you use look at the ingredients label....if it doesn't list cocoa butter then it isn't white chocolate.


thin4life Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-melia

I recently made a cream cheese white choc ganache for a banana cake, it was pretty yummy! I used equal amounts of both cream cheese and cream, it was quite thick though.




This sounds heavenly, would you mind sharing the recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%