Gumpaste Unicorn - How To

Decorating By mckaren Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 8:09pm by confectionsofahousewife

mckaren Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!!

I'm trying to make a gumpaste unicorn and it's going very badly. I've tried over and over and just can't get the proportions right of the body, back legs and head. I want to have it laying down with a girl next to it. (and lots of cutsey flowers etc)

I'm searching for tutorials for horses and unicorns and can't find anything suitable. I just get a humorous horse on it's stomach with it's legs splayed which is so not the effect I want!!
Please could someone point me in the right direction of a tutorial?

Thank you in advance.

1 reply
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 2

I don't have a tutorial but I made a gumpaste unicorn not too long ago. Maybe looking at it would help? It wasn't perfect in its proportions either but it turned out okay. I just winged it looking at other unicorn sculptures online.⊂=1676210
I started out with a cylinder of gumpaste for the body and then shaped the neck so it was attached to the body. I shaped the head separately and then attached it to the body. I put something under the nose to hold the head up while it dried. I rolled out snakes for the legs and shaped them accordingly and attached. Let the whole thing dry for a few days so its head wouldn't fall over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%