Truck Cake For A Company

Decorating By Sharonvdberg Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 1:41am by Lcubed82

Sharonvdberg Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 3

I baked this cake for a company that makes custom made tarpaulins for vehicles and boats. I did'nt like the "stuck in the mud" look that cakes have when they are on the surface so I raised this cake on platform of cake board and stuck 2 pieces of conduit pipe to the bottom (hubby helped) to give the effect of the truck standing on it's wheels.

Step 1: I calculated a third of the measurement of the cake to beable to use the whole cake, cut the cake board to the required size , then sliced of a piece of all three divisions for the cab of the truck.

I stacked two layers for the body of the cab. The third piece I cut a wedge out in the length to shape the top of the cab. This I did't show on the pics, sorry

I stacked the big pieces for the back of the truck, flipping one ot the sides over to get a straight shape. Butter icing to glue layers
Next step was to crumb coat with butter cream icing.

Covered the cab in fondant and added fondant detail. pressed a shape for the windows.

Covered the back of the truck in fondant coloured with red and black powdered colouring to get the brown. this is the back that shows and opening. the measuring of this piece had me panicked.

the front part that comes against the cab. I smoothed all joins

Added bumpers and lights made from fondant. All other detail added was either piped or painted. This is the company's logo. Cake is appropriate to the topic, don't you think?

Back of the truck.

The next day the brown had coloured the writing but it actually looked quite arty. Yay! enjoyed that!

2 replies
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 3

great job, i love the little details at the back of the truck for "pulling" the tarp over and tightening it.

Good picture tutorial also.

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 3

Looks great! Isn't it fun to be able to customize!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%