Client Wants To Make Cupcakes To Go Beside My Cake

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm by ncsmorris

mookamoo Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 28

I have been trying to work with prices to help a client...(I asked about that on my last post.) I was trying to get her to go with more simple design.
Now she wants a smaller cake, same design but she wants to make her own cupcakes to feed 70 people and put them around my cake. I am just worried because people will associate them both being made by me. They could be great, but I have no clue. What would you do? Is it not in my hands...should I not worry about it?

27 replies
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 28

I'm sure the bride & family will proudly be telling everyone that the she (or Aunt Mildred or whoever) made the cupcakes.

I know there's a lot of talk on these boards of clients who just don't appreciate what is involved in making a custom cake. It sounds like this bride does get it...she likes your work, wants you to do her cake, but just can't afford a large custom creation.

mookamoo Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 28

thank you!!! thats all I needed to know!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

khoudek Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 28

If you are trying to establish yourself as a business this might not be a good idea. Most bakeries have clauses in their contracts that all cake material must come from their bakery. If someone should get sick and blame it on cake, how will anyone know it was the cupcakes and not the cake?

artscallion Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

I'm sure the bride & family will proudly be telling everyone that the she (or Aunt Mildred or whoever) made the cupcakes.

Maybe...IF they come out well. But what if the bride has trouble because she's rushing through cupcakes the day before her wedding, and they don't come out well and she knows it but doesn't have time to fix them? It's just as likely they'll just serve them and not say a word.

thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 28

I wouldn't worry about it. If all she wants you to do is make the cake then make the cake. I don't know about other people but I've owned a cake shop(retired now), and thats exactly what we made....cakes and nothing else. People are usually very proud of what they've done, even if it makes you raise your eyebrows. They are more then ready to say " so and so did the cake ....butttt I made the cupcakes or aunt Bee made them".

cakeythings1961 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 28

If I were a bride and the cake baker said I couldn't serve my own little cupcakes, I'd go elsewhere.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

If I were a bride and the cake baker said I couldn't serve my own little cupcakes, I'd go elsewhere.

And that's your option, just as it's the baker's option to be the only baker icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

I wouldn't worry about it. If all she wants you to do is make the cake then make the cake. I don't know about other people but I've owned a cake shop(retired now), and that's exactly what we made....cakes and nothing else. People are usually very proud of what they've done, even if it makes you raise your eyebrows. They are more then ready to say " so and so did the cake ....butttt I made the cupcakes or aunt Bee made them".

If I were a bride and the cake baker said I couldn't serve my own little cupcakes, I'd go elsewhere. (To quote cakeythings1961)

I definitely do not want some other cake, cupcake item served along with my cake. If you are going to be JUST a cake business that is your decision, however, that does not make it correct for someone else to do cupcakes. Like others have stated in this thread, someone could get ill off the cupcakes and blame the cake. Next thing you know, with the way people are today, is a lawsuit. I know I worked hard to get my business going, not counting the money laid out for insurance and licenses. I certainly do not want a lawsuit just because Aunt Bee made a mistake in her cupcakes.
As for the quote from cakeythings1961, If you wanted cupcakes to be brought in by your aunt, cousin, grandmother or whoever along with my cake and I told you No Way, then don't let the door hit you on the way out. icon_twisted.gif
evelyn

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 28

I know many of us have a clause in our contract stating that no other baked goods can be served. But the fact is, once I drop off a cake, I don't know WHAT people do. They could surround it with their own cupcakes, add flowers or other decorations, or cover it in ketchup! As long as you're getting a fair price for what you supply, I wouldn't turn down the order. Just keep in mind...smaller cakes are sometimes harder to decorate and can take just as much time as a larger one!

thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

I wouldn't worry about it. If all she wants you to do is make the cake then make the cake. I don't know about other people but I've owned a cake shop(retired now), and that's exactly what we made....cakes and nothing else. People are usually very proud of what they've done, even if it makes you raise your eyebrows. They are more then ready to say " so and so did the cake ....butttt I made the cupcakes or aunt Bee made them".

If I were a bride and the cake baker said I couldn't serve my own little cupcakes, I'd go elsewhere. (To quote cakeythings1961)

I definitely do not want some other cake, cupcake item served along with my cake. If you are going to be JUST a cake business that is your decision, however, that does not make it correct for someone else to do cupcakes. Like others have stated in this thread, someone could get ill off the cupcakes and blame the cake. Next thing you know, with the way people are today, is a lawsuit. I know I worked hard to get my business going, not counting the money laid out for insurance and licenses. I certainly do not want a lawsuit just because Aunt Bee made a mistake in her cupcakes.
As for the quote from cakeythings1961, If you wanted cupcakes to be brought in by your aunt, cousin, grandmother or whoever along with my cake and I told you No Way, then don't let the door hit you on the way out. icon_twisted.gif
evelyn

I had my bakery for well over 18yrs and never had once had anybody walk out because we didn't supply anything but the wedding cake. I'm not fimiliar with the laws in the USA, so I can't comment on that.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 28

As for a lawsuit, they'd have to prove it was YOUR cake that made them sick. People talk a lot about lawsuits on here, but a person can't just go before a judge and say, "His/her cake made me sick!" and the judge automatically hand your business over to them.

cakeythings1961 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 28

Quote:
evelyn[/quote]

Nice. : icon_rolleyes.gif

Skidoochic Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 28

Not sure if you are a business or just doing out of your home, but maybe you could shoot her a low ball price on the cupcakes that she can handle? Personally, when I do 100 cupcakes with nothing more than a 1M swirl and charge $1.25/ea, I feel a little guilty. (I know, everyone is going to slam me now, but it is true).

cakesbycathy Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 28

I am a licensed home baker. I have it in my contract that no other cakes/cupcakes are permitted if I am providing the cake.

I have no idea what kind of conditions the other baker works in. Do they have pets? I don't want pet hair being transferred to my cake. Do they smoke? The smell lingers everywhere. I don't want that associated with my cake. Do they let their kids lick the bowl? You get the idea.

It's all or nothing or I pass on the order. I don't care if they go somewhere else.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I am a licensed home baker. I have it in my contract that no other cakes/cupcakes are permitted if I am providing the cake.

I have no idea what kind of conditions the other baker works in. Do they have pets? I don't want pet hair being transferred to my cake. Do they smoke? The smell lingers everywhere. I don't want that associated with my cake. Do they let their kids lick the bowl? You get the idea.

It's all or nothing or I pass on the order. I don't care if they go somewhere else.

But cakesbycathy, you don't know WHAT they do after you drop the cake off. I understand that you have that stipulation in your contract - so do I - but it really doesn't mean anything. You HOPE they'll abide by the contract, but they might not and you would have no way of knowing. Exactly how do you monitor it? I certainly wouldn't turn away business over something I can't control!

cakesbycathy Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 28

You're right, I don't know what happens after I've dropped off the cake.
And I can't control it. But I do make it clear to them that that section of my contract is one of the 3 that I am the most serious about (the other ones are about payment and allergies).

Once I explain the reasoning behind it every single client tell me that they understand and it has never been an issue. If they need extra servings, I usually quote them a decent price for extra sheet cakes or cupcakes that they just pay it rather than go to the trouble themselves.

One of the first questions I ask is how many people they are expecting to get an idea of what size cake they need. If they tell me they are having 50 people but they only order a cake big enought to feed 20...well it could be a case of "not everbody eats cake" or that they don't want to cough up the $$ for enough cake. I can usually get a feel for which one it is.

khoudek Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 28

Lawsuit potenial aside, what would concern me is word of mouth reputation. If someone became ill or thought the cupcakes didn't taste good and word of who made them didn't get passed around well....well then people would assume you were to blame.

smokeysmokerton Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #19 of 28

I agree with Johnnycakes, how would you ever know? They could make another cake and put yours on top of it for all you know. I understand how it could cause problems, but you really can't control it. I would think that the only thing that might deter them is if you put it in your contract that if anyone got sick, they release you of all liability if another cake was served, but then what if it's catered? How would you know if it was the food or the cake? So in that case, how do you tell a bride, for example, that because her wedding is being catered, you can't be liable for anyone getting sick because you can't be sure it was the cake?

I'd just make the damn cake icon_lol.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

Lawsuit potenial aside, what would concern me is word of mouth reputation. If someone became ill or thought the cupcakes didn't taste good and word of who made them didn't get passed around well....well then people would assume you were to blame.

But I'm just saying, that could happen anyway. Someone who owns a dog could attend a wedding for which you provide the cake. They played with the dog before leaving for the wedding and got a few hairs on their clothes. They get close to the cake, a hair falls on it, and now YOU have delivered a cake with a dog hair on it. These things are out of our control and I just don't see the need to worry about them. It certainly wouldn't make me turn the business away or tell them to go elsewhere. icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

evelyn

thumbsdown.gif

thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #22 of 28

I'm with johnnyCakes1966, it doesn't matter what you do, once leave that cake on the table and walk away, anything can happen. I believe we all also include in our contracts that once we deliver the cake safe and sound.....we are no longer responsible. I'm to old and to busy to worry about things that are out of my control. I also wouldn't turn business away for those kind of reasons.

Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #23 of 28

I don't know if this helps...but...

I had a lady trying to save some money doing the same thing. She wanted a cupcake tower with the 6" cake on top really fancy, and then matching cupcakes.

After I quoted, she thought maybe she should just order the topper cake and make her own cupcakes.

What I did is told her that I only offer my 6" price WITH the cupcakes, and not independently...because independently, its below my minimum price. So I told her really, if she wanted to buy the topper for the quoted price, she had to at least buy SOME cupcakes to get up to my minimum price.

So she ended up getting all of them from me, and being happy! She did make her own stand and some of her own cupcake-picks, and she saved delivery fees by agreeing to take the responsibility to transport and set up herself.... and the end result was fabulous!

Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #24 of 28

Yeah - I would feel weird about having them around my cake - maybe if she got a cupcake stand with a little note saying "made by so and so" It would be better - it would probably look really cute too.

cakewhiz Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 28

About 5 or 6 years ago, I delivered a cake to serve 75 people to a reception site. Once I got there, it was obvious that the reception was set up for more than 75 people. The staff said they were expecting 200. So I told the staff that the cake would only serve 75 and they said they had sheet cakes the bride's aunt made to serve the rest of the guests.

From that day, I changed my wedding cake contract to read, "No other cake from any source will be served to imply that it is my cake". I have worked 34 years building up my reputation and I pride myself on the quality of my cakes.

If a bride brings in supplement cakes to serve the rest of her guests besides what she has purchased form me, regardless, my name is on all the cake. I am inspected by the health department. If that supplement cakes are dry, and the frosting is not to my quality of buttercream, or if someone gets sick on her cake.....and some of the guests did not like the cake.....they will ask who did the wedding cake, and my name will be given out as the wedding cake baker.

Since I have put this agreement into my contract, I have never had any more problems with brides bringing in their own cake to supplement mine. This is not only written in my contract but it is also stated in my website. So the bride knows this before she comes to me that I will not allow this. They can then choose to go somewhere else if they want which is absolutely fine with me.

ambercscott87 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #26 of 28

if it was me... I wouldn't worry about it. But I think this one is your decision as to how you want your business run and you'd definately need to set up the standards in your contract if you choose too.

Enchantedcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 28

I have delivered to several wedding where a family member has made the grooms cake for the wedding and I would never have told the bride that they could not have the grooms cake because it was not ordered from me. In the same regard I have made several grooms cakes for weddings where I was not contracted to make the wedding cake as the cake was a surprise for the couple. Lets face it brides want what brides want, even though you may have a clause in your contract that there are to be no other cakes if a bride wants cupcakes that are homemade she will have them and then just call them favors.

ncsmorris Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #28 of 28

While I can definitely see both sides to this, I'd be inclined to let her do it. I pride myself on finding a way to stick to someone's budget and *trying* to get them what they want (within reason, of course). Someone else said they would go somewhere else if they weren't allowed to do this and so would I. Plus, she might say that you were difficult to work with. If you can afford such comments, this may not be an issue.

Having said that, I would ask first (if you haven't already) if she would consider allowing you to make plain undecorated kitchen cakes for the extra servings at a special rate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%