Shelf Life Of Cake Balls

Decorating By blue123 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm by Chiara

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 6

OK, so I was not a fan of cake balls...but...now, I am a HUGE fan! They are my new "best Seller". My question is, how long do they keep and how do I store them? Up until now, I just make them to order, no storage. Just make and sell. Thanks for the help!

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 6

I think it really depends on your recipe. Some people use creamer, some use buttercream and some don't use a binding agent at all (their cake is moist enough they just make balls out of it).

Can you share with us what you're using for your recipe and then maybe we can help with a shelf life.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 6

I make containers of different cakeball mixtures and keep them refrigerated..then it is cold and ready to go with orders....i have made them ahead of time and kept them in containers in the refrigerator for weeks and everyone loves them...i just use any flavor canned frosting and a cakemix to compliment that flavor....

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for the help. I make my cake balls with frosting. Can you freeze the balls (for like a week) before they get dipped?

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6

dont see why not....just wrap them up good so they dont get freezer "burn" icon_smile.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 6

I have been making cake balls now for 8 yrs. They store well made and frozen for a good month.
You can keep them in the fridge for a week if they have been dipped in chocolate.
You can keep them on the counter for a couple of days and it does not affect the flavour at all. I usually always have some leftovers on the counter that my kids eat them until they are all gone. My neighbours stand in line for left overs too and they eat the ones that are more then one week old.
If you package them properly they last a long long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%