Take This Scratch Vs. Mix. Haha

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:25am by Cindy619

Kitagrl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 10

Okay so I offer both doctored mixes (I call it "bakery style") and also some tried and proven scratch mixes ("gourmet").

For the first time ever, a customer ordered tasting cakes in BOTH my scratch chocolate (which is VERY good, I have had rave reviews on it every single time I make it...its a very moist, dense, rich cake.) and the "bakery style" chocolate cake which is a doctored scratch cake...often I just use that along with vanilla for kids parties and stuff.

And the customer chose....

*drumroll*

BAKERY STYLE! (doctored mix!)

She said it was fabulous!

Now technically, she did request that the ganache be put with the "bakery style" and the scratch chocolate had raspberry...so the bakery style probably did taste richer because of the filling. By that time we had gone back and forth so long I didn't feel like correcting her choices to my personal preferences (I like the scratch chocolate with the ganache best).

Anyway I thought I'd post this for anyone who feels guilty about using doctored mixes...because people still love it, and in this business, that is really what counts....if people love your cake, they will buy it, no matter what your recipe is.

9 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 10

Amen!!! Congrats on the taste test!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cindy619 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 10

Do you mind me asking, what doctored recipe you used? Just wondering, thanks!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 10

Duncan Hines dark chocolate, and then Jello chocolate pudding box, four eggs, one cup water, 1/2 cup oil, squirt of pure vanilla.

The ganache filling (whipped) probably made it taste even richer.

I recently discovered also that throwing a handful or two of mini chocolate chips into the above recipe also makes it even richer. The chips don't get hard, it just sort of makes it more chocolate-y.

Tiffany29 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 10

I bake mostly from scratch, But I always had a problem finding good scratch yellow and white cake recipes. I have since found a few that I like.

I do use doctored mixes also. (mostly for yellow and white cake)
I fooled my MIL (she's used to me making everything from scratch). I made a cake for my BIL from a doctored mix. She kept saying how good it was and that it was homemade. I corrected her, she was shocked and said she couldn't tell at all.

Cindy619 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for posting! It's actually the exact same that I have played with, except I usually use 1/3 cup oil. What do you think the difference would be between 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup? I add mini chips as well! Yum!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Thanks for posting! It's actually the exact same that I have played with, except I usually use 1/3 cup oil. What do you think the difference would be between 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup? I add mini chips as well! Yum!

Well the white and yellow is 1/3 but the chocolate is 1/2.... per the box.

cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:23am
post #8 of 10

Kitagrl, do you add instant pudding mix or cooked? I do a lot of doctored mixes, but never for chocolate, so this is interesting. Thanks!

Kitagrl Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Kitagrl, do you add instant pudding mix or cooked? I do a lot of doctored mixes, but never for chocolate, so this is interesting. Thanks!

Instant....

Cindy619 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #10 of 10

Oops...guess I just I've been using the same for everything. Duh!!! Thanks for clarifying - I'll have to change my notes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%