Can I Use Ri To "glue" Large Gumpaste Bow On Bc C

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm by TPayne827

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 6

I made a large gumpaste bow to go on a BC cake that is decorated with fondant decor. The right side of my loop keeps falling off and now it looks like the center and left side are sagging also! I made some gum glue to secure it but it doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't seem to be drying. I put it on about 5 hours ago and it is still sticky. I live in the South and it is very humid and rainy right now so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it? Could I use RI to "glue" it on? Should I try to use some toothpicks in the back side to stick it on?

Here is a pic before the bow started to fall.
Image[/img]

5 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 6

If I understand, your bow is broken and you want to fix it. When I first read your post I thought you were trying to get it to stay up on the cake. If you are working with gumpaste you could fix it with some "gum glue". Make a thick paste out of gumpaste and water and stick the piece back together. Then put the piece in the oven with only the oven light on. This should help dry out the bow and paste. If the gumpaste bow is dry, you may crack it if you try sticking it with a toothpick. I would try drying it in the oven overnight if you can.

TPayne827 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

Actually I am trying to get the bow to stay up on the cake! The tails are on fine but the bow part itself keeps leaning forward from the top and falling off. It was really just the right loop but now the middle and left are leaning also. Any suggestions?

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

I just used RI to glue a bow to the top of my poodle cake and it worked great!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 6

Royal Icing dries too slow and they don't stick for me. Just use some gum glue, or even better, I just use a little piece of fondant or gumpaste. It sticks almost immediately. I would recommend chocolate but it's been too hot and humid this summer where I live for chocolate to set.

TPayne827 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the help! I ended up using candy melts and they worked like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif I had never made a bow before. I think maybe I should have given the bow itself more time to dry before I put it on the cake. I also wondered if I should have done a 6" and 10" instead of a 6" and 8" then my bow would have had more of a "ledge" to sit on for support. In the end the bow stayed on and my friend and everyone at the party LOVED the cake so that is all that really matters! But I did learn a couple of things in the process! thumbs_up.gif

The final product:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%