Mmf Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By msumpter2006 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 12:59am by soph917

msumpter2006 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 4

can anyone tell me what the difference in the consistancy/ hardening of mmf & gumpaste.... i always try to use just the mmf but the figures usually squish down a little before drying.... didnt know if the gumpaste would be any different... Please help and thank you....

3 replies
tokazodo Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 4

Gum paste is supposed to dry hard. By adding some gum paste to mmf, it should firm up the mmf. Recently, I made penguins with mmf. The 'squashed' down a little while drying, but I left them. I was trying to make a specific penguin, and he kind of slumps when he sits, so it all worked for me.
This week I made a hermit crab (I'll upload tomorrow after I deliver the cake)
and he sits just fine. The gum paste also leaves a little more room for details as in sculpting.
My suggestion to you would be to do what I did. Purchase some gum paste and give it a try.

I hope this helps, Don't be afraid to try new things, that's how we learn!

msumpter2006 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 4

soph917 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 4

MMF certainly will never harden enough to hold a shape for figures. I use MMF with Tylose powder added to it, and it works very similarly to gumpaste. It's more economical for me to use MMF + Tylose, rather than purchasing pre-made gumpaste. You can also use Gum-Tex ( a Wilton item), which will essentially achieve the same desired effect, but I do prefer Tylose powder. It seems to work faster, and doesn't have the unpleasant smell of the Gum-Tex. Although Gum-Tex is easier to find.

Quote by @%username% on %date%