Anyone Get Stressed Out With Cake Orders?

Decorating By uniquecreations Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 8:17am by sammie192

uniquecreations Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 24

I had 2 cakes due today one i did was my first topsy turvy and I was stressing trying to get that done then I was stressing because I'm always wondering if something is going to happen to the cakes. I was so stressed about the iopst turvy til I bake another set of cakes because I was so scared that the cake was going to fall over which it didnt. Then when i delivered the cakes everyone was well pleased, and then I think about all that stress and everything turned out ok. But at one point it was so bad i said I'm not doing cakes anymore, does anyone else go through this besides me? Here is the picture of my first topsy turvy made some mistakes but will practice til I get it right

23 replies
uniquecreations Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 24

picture didnt load let me try it again

uniquecreations Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 24

Dont know why the picture wont load but it is in my photos

momvarden Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 24

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1772476

Is this the cake you were trying to post. I turned out great. there is a reason you stressed out, because you like your work to turn out beautiful and it did. Once you do it a couple more times, you think its easy!
You do wonderful with cakes keep on doing it.
I get stressed when i am over tired. so i stop a good stopping point and do something else like watch tv, go for a walk, take a nap. then i have a fresh perspective on it when i come back. I have days when i say what the heck am i doing this for. then i remember i hated my last job of counting merchandise, and sexist bosses, and the job before that i did for 7 + years and would have anxiety when walking up the stairs to enter work.

This is a thousand times better and now i am really in it because i now have a really pretty frog piping a cake in the form of a tattoo on my ankle. It is my only tattoo, and i have been thinking about it for i think 2 years. Ha ha! Don't worry most people stress out on the stuff they really care about because its important to them.

uniquecreations Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by momvarden

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1772476

Is this the cake you were trying to post. I turned out great. there is a reason you stressed out, because you like your work to turn out beautiful and it did. Once you do it a couple more times, you think its easy!
You do wonderful with cakes keep on doing it.
I get stressed when i am over tired. so i stop a good stopping point and do something else like watch tv, go for a walk, take a nap. then i have a fresh perspective on it when i come back. I have days when i say what the heck am i doing this for. then i remember i hated my last job of counting merchandise, and sexist bosses, and the job before that i did for 7 + years and would have anxiety when walking up the stairs to enter work.

This is a thousand times better and now i am really in it because i now have a really pretty frog piping a cake in the form of a tattoo on my ankle. It is my only tattoo, and i have been thinking about it for i think 2 years. Ha ha! Don't worry most people stress out on the stuff they really care about because its important to them.






Thanks so much for the encouragment you are right I want it perfect and so I know I stress out over that but when I see the smiles on the customers face I say well I guess I will keep doing it a little while longer but it really gets nerve racking sometimes LOL!!!!

tokazodo Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #6 of 24

Do I get stressed over cakes? Heck Yes! Every wedding cake I make, I swear will be the last and I've been making wedding cakes for 20 years!
But, after the cake is delivered, and look at the pictures of the cake, within the next day or so I think, It wasn't that bad.
I think perfectionists like us, tend to always find something we dislike about our work, we are our own worst critics.

I agree with momvarden, you need to keep at it.
I've peeked at your cake photos you do gorgeous work, and you need to keep doing it, if it that's makes you happy.

Pacing yourself, taking brakes and doing as much prep work as you can, should help out with stress. Walks are great stress reducers!

One thing I always keep in the back of my head when I beat myself up for not making the perfect cake: There is nothing perfect under God!

I hope this helps! Have a great weekend!

uniquecreations Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 24

tokazodo thanks to you also for the encouragement, it is what I love to do and I have a passion to do, so I need to just learn as you both have said to take breaks and walk away and come back to it with a fresh look, but this is what I truly love to do so I will have to do what I need to do to make it work!!!

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 24

Okay, so yes, I have sworn to NEVER make a cake again. at 3am on Thursday night was the last time. that shoe almost killed me. LOL

Yes, at least once a weekend I swear I will never do it again. I am only doing whats on the books (booked months in advance) and then I quit. and I'm taking NO new orders... THEN they love the cake, they put it on FB, they tell everyone , they cry, they hug me- whatever, and it makes it all worthwhile. Do I ever have the ability to look at my cakes through someone elses eyes and see the beauty and not the imperfections? NOPE. will I? honestly, I hope not. I NEED to see those mistakes, so I dont make them again. icon_smile.gif

cupcake_cutie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #9 of 24

Yes! This very weekend I had three cake orders and things weren't going smoothly and I said that I was done. I was worried about whether or not the customer was going to like it and they all did! Like tokazodo said we are our own worst critics. I also know that I have a long way to go to get to where I want to be. But I'm so glad that you posted this because I swore that I was the only one that thought this way. It's good to know that I'm in good company.

Your cake is absolutely beautiful, by the way! icon_smile.gif

uniquecreations Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:50am
post #10 of 24

Thank You ladies and it is good to know that you are not alone!!!!

mmgiles Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 24

I've been telling myself this for the past year. I've had so many problems with my health, and then they cause cake problems. I was diagnosed with MS this year and have had a lot of memory loss which leaves me up late the night before a cake is due because I baked the wrong flavor or delivered the cake 6 days early (not even the right day of the week - at least it wasnt late). I even had to deliver a cake a few weeks ago with an IV in the back of my hand. Things are much better with my health now and I'm so glad I took those orders or I wouldn't have been able to pay those medical bills, but boy was it stressful. I keep thinking I should stop taking orders until I get back to normal energy levels, but I love it so much, I always take the order again.

However, I have cut back and I'm not taking all the party cake orders from friends. I'm sticking to just cake orders that are bigger and pay more. It's just not worth messing up my kitchen for those small orders.

uniquecreations Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

I've been telling myself this for the past year. I've had so many problems with my health, and then they cause cake problems. I was diagnosed with MS this year and have had a lot of memory loss which leaves me up late the night before a cake is due because I baked the wrong flavor or delivered the cake 6 days early (not even the right day of the week - at least it wasnt late). I even had to deliver a cake a few weeks ago with an IV in the back of my hand. Things are much better with my health now and I'm so glad I took those orders or I wouldn't have been able to pay those medical bills, but boy was it stressful. I keep thinking I should stop taking orders until I get back to normal energy levels, but I love it so much, I always take the order again.

However, I have cut back and I'm not taking all the party cake orders from friends. I'm sticking to just cake orders that are bigger and pay more. It's just not worth messing up my kitchen for those small orders.





Wow you have been through a lot but it is so encouraging to see how you have still went over and beyond to do what you love to do that is awesome!!!!

DefyGravity Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 24

Did you use the Cricut for that? I think I have the same cartridge icon_smile.gif

The cake looks great!!!

JenniferMI Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #14 of 24

I think the more you do of something, the less stress it creates. But, heck yes, we all get stressed out at one time or another in this business.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

uniquecreations Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Did you use the for that? I think I have the same cartridge icon_smile.gif

The cake looks great!!!




i did i used the foerver young cartridge and I cut it out by hand i do have a cricut cake but I have not used it yet I have not had time so I didnt feel like trying to figure out that cricut cake I just cut it out
a template from my cricut expressions and used an exacto knife to cut it out

uniquecreations Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I think the more you do of something, the less stress it creates. But, heck yes, we all get stressed out at one time or another in this business.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif




Hi jennifer i just got finished watching you on TLC icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Did you use the for that? I think I have the same cartridge icon_smile.gif

The cake looks great!!!



i did i used the foerver young cartridge and I cut it out by hand i do have a cake but I have not used it yet I have not had time so I didnt feel like trying to figure out that cake I just cut it out
a template from my expressions and used an exacto knife to cut it out




That's how I did the Camp Rock logo in one of my cakes. You did a great job!

sandeeb Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:27pm
post #18 of 24

Hi, I too have had a lot of stress with making cakes. I also have some
chronic health problems and because of that and feeling so stressed out knowing that I have a cake order. I have had to quit taking orders.Your cake was very pretty; you did a great job.

uniquecreations Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks Everyone for the compliments and encouragement!!!!!!

ncsmorris Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 24

Yes, girl...me too! I did a wedding cake this weekend and I hated it. I kept working and kept working on it because I thought there was NO way I could deliver it like it was. I added a flower topper, took it off. Added a basket topper, took it off. Finally, I went to bed. Woke up at 5 AM, decided to keep it simple and basically put it back the way it started. I said to my hubby "I am going insane. This cake sucks" LOL...but, no. I am doing another this weekend icon_wink.gif

JadedJenn Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #21 of 24

Your cake looks really cute!

I just checked out a cake decorating book from the library and it had some great advice: "The more you bake, the better you will become; and when you are stuck, remember that it is only food and you are smarter than food."

The_Caketress Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #22 of 24

Everytime I finish deliverying a cake it feels like I just took off my ice skates and I can walk normal again. It gets easier over time.

uniquecreations Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

Everytime I finish deliverying a cake it feels like I just took off my ice skates and I can walk normal again. It gets easier over time.




I just looked at your cakes they are absolutely stunning and breath taking!!!

sammie192 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:17am
post #24 of 24

I get stressed before ,doing and after the ones that gives me a lot of trouble I really stress about . Then I think something happens to the cake. or they didn't like it. A lot do not call oneway or the other should I call them? and see how they liked the cake? do any one else feel like these way! about hearing from them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%