What Can I Do...feel Terrible

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 12:22am by cutthecake

CandyLady Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 15

delivered reunion cake to party and when I took the full sheet cake out of the box the edible picture of the school started to crack...I tried to push it together and it was still noticible. It turned out awesome and can't believe it would happen. Used a new frosting and sent a note to the creator on Wilton to see if maybe it was too moist...I am sick, sick, sick. Don't know if I should offer part of her money back...this has never happened with any of my cakes. It is extremely hot here in Ohio but have air conditioning so that was not the problem...I don't think.

14 replies
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 15

re: cause -- most likely support board was not stiff enough and the cake flexed, cracking the image.

cdgleason Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 15

I agree with Doug.... I worked at a bakery once, and we had problems with just about EVERY full sheet cake that we sold... I HATED them!!
I think the simple solution in the future is to make sure your support board is ROCK solid!!

Karen421 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with Doug. I have actually had that happen for the same reason, so now I use 1/4 plywood under the cake board, and it stops the little bit of bending.

luckylibra Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 15

I have used plywood since about the second cake I ever did.. the cake boards just always felt too flimsy to me. It is not expensive either. I bought an entire sheet of plywood ( I can't recall exactly how much it was but I remember being surprised at how cheap it was and wished I had done it sooner) at Lowe's and they cut it for me into the different sizes I requested at no charge.. so I have several of each size that way if they do not get returned right away I am ok. I sanded the edges smooth and cover them with heavy duty silver wrapping paper, makes me feel so much safer when carrying the cakes.

Tiffany29 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 15

I agree with the above. I like to double up my boards or use foam core.
Also when I lift the cake I slide my arms under the cake towards the middle to support it more.

cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 15

Ditto, I would have to agree that it was your cake boards. Cake boards are just not sturdy enough. That was most likely the culprit. I had this happen to me before. I actually felt the cake board give, and it cracked my crusting buttercream icing. It made the cake look amateur, so I feel your pain. I would invest in the 1/4 inch plywood as suggested.

CandyLady Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 15

I actually glued 3 cardboards together. Went to Home Depot and had them cut a massonite board for me but found it too heavy to carry with it. Slid it into a sheetcake cardboard box for extra strength. I have never had this happen before so was baffled and sick. I just think I won't do sheet cakes anymore. Thanks ya'll.

Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 15

Even 3 cardboards are not enough for the weight of a full sheet cake. Only plywood or 2 -1/2" pieces of foamcore will hold that weight. (I have never used masonite, so I can't comment on how that would work) Sorry that this happened to you.

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #10 of 15

plywood is 4X8 and comes in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc- you can get T1-11 (more of a siding and rough cut), plywood, or OSB (oriated strand board) osb is cheaper, and works great, its as sturdy, you just cant get it wet- true ply is a little more durable- personally I would shellack or paint it- and still wrap it. icon_smile.gif

cheriej Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #11 of 15

Don't give up on sheet cakes!
I i do half sheet for charities and will be doing full sheets this year. I learned early on these cakes are heavy especially when filled. Just make sure you have the right support as previously stated. Don't give up!

mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 15

I use MDF for most of my cakes. It is 1/2 thick and I have NEVER had an issue again. Those flimsy boards just dont work.

Erin3085 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #13 of 15

I agree with everyone else...cakeboard are horrible as a base. Even the smallest bit of a flex can mess up an edible image, and sheet cakes are so heavy! icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

I actually glued 3 cardboards together. Went to Home Depot and had them cut a massonite board for me but found it too heavy to carry with it. Slid it into a sheetcake cardboard box for extra strength. I have never had this happen before so was baffled and sick. I just think I won't do sheet cakes anymore. Thanks ya'll.

If the crack happened after the cake was moved around, then I would say it is the support under it. Don't give up on them, just figure out a better board for under it.

cutthecake Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #15 of 15

I bought several wooden cutting boards of various sizes at the Christmas Tree Shop and the dollar store. They have nice finished edges, and they weren't expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%