Spongebob Cake..what Would You Charge??

Decorating By multilayered Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 4:52am by KJ62798

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 10

Nothing. It's illegal to reproduce copyrighted characters without permission.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 10

Whilst Rose_N_Crantz has a valid point, you can break down the price of this cake without reference to the copyright. For example, it is a tiered cake, it is fondant covered, and has multiple gumpaste figures on it. Assign a cost to each of these elements, along with your ingredients and overhead costs, divide the total by the number of servings of the cake and you'll come out with your per serving cost.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 10

If that is a 10" and an 8" I would charge $155 for the base cake, probably another $30 for decorations. That is of course if it wasn't a copyrighted character.

here's my pricing page from my website: http://cakeswithjaz.com/Menu_and_Pricing.html

for decorations, any added figures run about $15 each

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 10

are you kidding, people make those all the time, what are the disney police, and thomas the train people going to arrest you, i've seen bakery's make them. vent

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 10

ninatat, you can't legally make a cake in the image of a copyrighted character, logo, etc without permission. You can make them for your family/your own children.

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 10

$120-$150. Great job BTW icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

are you kidding, people make those all the time, what are the disney police, and thomas the train people going to arrest you, i've seen bakery's make them. vent

Bigger bakeries make these, because they have copyright permission to do so. While there is no "police", but there are law suits from these companies.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #9 of 10

Hi Multilayered, 1 st. thing.. the cake is wonderful, Details are sharp and everything flows together !!

BUT, if I had to put a price tag on it I would say, 1)attorney fees, $$$$,
2) $$$$$ awarded to copywrite owner,3) loss of income while in court ? $$$$. ETC , .....

Your work shows that you are very talented,and do great work, so showcase your talent using a design that won't get you in trouble. just my thoughts.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:52am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

Disney in particular is VERY protective of its copyright & trademark images. They even go after daycare/nursery schools that paint unauthorized Disney murals on the classroom walls.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%