Has Anyone Used This Recipe For Buttercream?

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm by JohnnyCakes1966

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 5

I ran across this recipe for buttercream on another site and wonder if anyone here has made it? If so, how does it hold up, taste, etc? To me, 4 sticks of butter to 1 CUP of powdered sugar sounds way off, but the OP swears it's delicious and foolproof.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, Whip the butter and Vanilla on high speed, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Whip until double in volume. This takes a very long time, approximately 10 minutes.
While still whipping, drizzle in the heavy cream. Continue whipping until the mixture is stiff, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/2 of the confectioners sugar and whip until smooth. At this point, you can taste the frosting and determine if you would like to add more sugar to sweeten to taste. Thickly frosts top and sides of two 9 inch cakes.

4 replies
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

Never used it, only uses Sharon Z's and indydebi's recipe. have yet to try SMBC, but this one seems similar.

Dayti Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, it sounds like it might just be a bit sloppy, just sweetened butter really icon_biggrin.gif
Maybe if it was 1 2lb bag of sugar...but even then I think it's not enough!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 5

"Sweetened butter." Yes. And the recipe even says to start off with only 1/2 CUP of the sugar and add more if needed! Maybe the whipped cream stabilizes the frosting (and adds a little sweetness), but it seems to me that the frosting would have to stay somewhat cold in order for the whipped cream to hold up. And I'd think one second out in a moderately warm day and this stuff would turn into a puddle!

But still wondering if anyone here has made it.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 5

OK...Against my better judgment, I made this. (You never know...right?) It does NOT make a delicious buttercream! icon_lol.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif It's very light in texture, yet very heavy in flavor (you can taste the fat in the cream and butter) and only marginally sweet. (Certainly not even as sweet as Swiss or Italian Buttercream. So I doubled the sugar...slightly sweeter, but still not enough and still very fluffy. (I wouldn't even call it whipped....it's like slightly thickened softened butter. It definitely wouldn't hold up to any type of piping.) Even with double the sugar, I don't think it's as sweet as Cool Whip. (Don't judge...You know we've all eaten Cool Whip! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Final score: Fail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%