Fondant Overlay??

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm by millermom

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 4

How do you do a fondant overlay like on a round cake bottom is one color and top color overlays partly down the sides.. I have seen some with wavey edges.. do you cut before laying over the cake. and do you cover the whole cake with the bottom color first then overlay the top color.. or trim to match the two edges.. does this make sense?? I want to try one but seems like a bunch of fondant where the overlay would be. thanks

3 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 4

I have only ever done it over BC, but I would suppose it is the same.

I cut my wavy lines first, and then put it over the cake. I just roll it 4-6" wider than the top of my cake and then free-hand the wavy edge.

HTH, it really wasn't too hard. I did it on the giant cupcake cake, and the slice of cake cake in my photos. I think that's what you mean...

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks~!! Yours came out great! love those type of cake s too.. I will have to give one a try.. so what would you do differently?? Your cakes are great.. Thanks for your imput.icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 4

You just want to make sure you have a really good blade to cut it with so that you don't stretch the edge.

Also, I wish I had an extruder to do the trim for around the edge ow that overlay piece. I have just piped along the edge, and it doesn't look quite as nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%