Cake Decorating Course & Advice

Decorating By Vixen-pixie Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:30pm by Vixen-pixie

Vixen-pixie Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all

I've always wanted to do a cake decorating course (my dad did one when I was young and I used to help him - loved it all) but I'm having trouble deciding on a course!
Can you help?

They're all part time and in a nightschool format.
I've found:
a local one held in a highschool after it's closed that's more of a group - no qualification and no real learning as far as I can's learning from each other I think, although it does say there's a tutor £36 then £1.90 per week!
one at a local college, £90 for 30 weeks - leisure course only
one at a college slightly further away £165 for 30 weeks - you get a certificate of completion but no qualification, exam etc - advertised as leisure course
one at a specialist college £450 for 30 weeks - BUT you get an ABC Level 1 qualification and can then progress on to levels 2 and 3 respectively.
I'm training to be a primary school teacher at University so don't envisage ever making a living out of this, but would like to be able to make amazing cakes for family, friends and maybe the odd paying customer to supplement my income.

Do you think the ABC qualification is TOO much for this - or am I best doing it anyway!?

Are these leisure courses any good? I have to provide equipment for ALL the courses so no real consideration needed for that bit!

Many thanks for all your help in advance and please do get in touch if you'd like to!!!!!


8 replies
Dayti Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, I would thoroughly recommend doing any of the courses at PME (Enfield):

or at Squires Kitchen (Farnham):

It would depend on where you live but they also do courses on weekends if you have to travel.
You would get certificates/diplomas, depending on which course/s you do.
Squires is more expensive than PME, which is more expensive than nightschool type courses, but you definitely get what you pay for icon_wink.gif
Aside from paying for the course, you will most likely have to buy the equipment for use during the course. Squires give you 10% off when you do this, not sure about PME.
Hope that helps!

Cindy619 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 9

Are there any Wilton classes in your area? They would probably be the most inexpensive option and offer a great place to start. Also, you can learn so much from U-Tube videos! You'll find that so many cake decorators nowadays are self taught!

Good luck and have fun!

peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 9

here in the states, there isn't much stock held in certificates for a home decorator.

I would check out the format, perhaps see if you can get an outline of the courses you are most interested in. Start with the local college, see if you can get a hold of someone that has taken the course before, find out if they think it was worth it.

I have no idea what the certificate is that you talk about, but is it important where you are? Do you think you would want to consider going on to more advanced courses? These are the types of things you need to ask yourself.

And the biggest question of all, is what can you afford to shell out for your hobby?? That will most likely be the deciding factor.

Vixen-pixie Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for your replies!
I'm in Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK - so no Wilton or Squire's unfortunately!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 9

Hi, I live in Kent UK and I did the PME course. really good, yes cheaper than Squires etc but as its split into 3 diplomas you get plenty of practice time and for it to sink in properly. I looked at the squires course but for covering all I wanted to do (sugarpaste, flowers, making the actual cakes, royal icing etc) the squires did a one week intensive course which I thought wouldn't give me practice time and for it to all sink in properly being one day after another. The PME you do have to buy a lot of equipment but ifyou are serious about continuing with it the equipment will always be used. I would advise though only buy what you need for the courses not the optional stuff as you always end up buying so much more stuff than you need and then realise as you get more experienced that certain items will do several jobs and you may not use tons of flower making stuff as much as you thought. hope this helps icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 9

I will always recommend the PME course. The lessons you learn with them you will use for the rest of your caking career. icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

I will always recommend the PME course. The lessons you learn with them you will use for the rest of your caking career. icon_biggrin.gif

ditto thumbs_up.gif

Vixen-pixie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.

I'm still looking into it but I'll let you know how I get on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%