Callapsed Cake!

Baking By cakemaker69 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 5:20am by cakemaker69

cakemaker69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker69 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:41am
post #1 of 6

It popped an air bubble or something while still baking, and it sank in the center! what now? start over, or can i still use this one? delivery of this cake needs to be by 6 pm tonite! i dont think i will have time to make another!.....icon_sad.gif gotta go pull sunk cake out of oven.

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 6

If it is still fairly thick in the middle, shave off the edges, fip it over and use lots of filling.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with minicuppie.

What was the recipe? Have you made it before?

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 6

Description sounds like a pretty big dent to be an air bubble. I just baked muffins that took a long time to rise in the middle because of an overabundance of thick fruit filling. So...maybe the middle isn't done yet for some reason and taking a while to rise?

If it is air - the gurus here are CC taught me to bang the crap out of my pans before putting them in the oven to get the bubbles out - it really works well!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

I sounds to me like the dreaded volcano cake, basically it happens when you open the oven door too soon, like to check if it's done. I don't even touch the oven door until I smell cake. The only fix is to try to level it off as best as you can and add more filing and frosting.

cakemaker69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker69 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:20am
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone for you help, i used the flower nails, dropped the pan on counter and did the spin and bang again. Still rose and then fell. i made an extra and cut into it to make sure it was completly done inside and they were. so we trimmed some edges, filled with icing and continued! it worked! Thanks so much! u guys r great for responding so quickly. sorry i just got back to say thanks! back to baking!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%