What's Your Favorite Fondant??

Decorating By multilayered Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm by crazyladybaker

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:45am
post #1 of 13

I used to make my own MMF...but even when I follow the same steps it can be inconsistant.. I just tried Satin Ice BC flavor and it got "elephant skin", dried out & cracked!! What it your favorite for a smooth finish?? TIA

12 replies
Jack031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jack031 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 13

My favorite fondant which also taste delicious would be the Fondarific fondant. It comes in so many flavors and to me personally Fondarific's Buttercream fondant tastes better compared to Satin Ice. Also, it doesn't crack or gives you elephant skin either! I LOVE Fondarific and it has never failed me. Though, you can't make flowers or bows really out of it but I just use gumpaste for that anyways. I hope this helps!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 13

I too love Fondarific - but as a hobby baker I generally can't justify the cost except for special occasions. For my day to day use, I use the Michele Foster Fondant (MFF) recipe on this site. I usually only make half a batch at a time - which ends up as about 2.25 lbs, and you do need to make it at least a day in advance, but I like it, I flavor it with my buttercream flavor so it tastes good, and I store the leftovers in a vacuum ziplock bag in the freezer and it lasts a good long time.

Just made a batch adding dry Kool-Aid for color and flavor for a kid's cake - you can do lots with MFF.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 13

I just made MFF for first time! And loved it!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 13

My favorite until last Friday was Fondarific. Now I'm not so sure. I still love it but... I got some Duff's in red (totally expecting it to have an after taste) and it was wonderful. It taste very similiar to Fondarific though. I won't buy Duff's unless I have a coupon because it's expensive ($20 for 2 lbs.).

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 13

Based on the information I have read here and my own experience with both fondarific and Duffs they are one in the same. Duffs label is slapped on fondarific containers!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, Duff's is Fondarific with his name on it. Must have been a great marketing deal for the makers of Fondarific.

4realLaLa Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 13

Kimmers that probably is true. The thing is the hot pink in Fondarific has an after taste but the Duff's red doesn't. If it was the same brand I would think that could make that hot pink without that after taste.

I want to try Satin Ice next.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 13

Fondarific! I used to use Satin Ice but could NOT keep in from cracking, regardless of what I did. My customers really like the taste of Fondarific and I like being able to roll it thin. If I'm wanting to make fondant flowers or bows or anything that I want to dry and not use gumpaste, I will use Fondx, because it's cheaper than Satin Ice.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 13

I've gone back to PettinIce. Used to be SatinIce only, and I still keep all their colors on hand. Fondarific is way outta my budget.

4realLaLa Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 13

Hey guys not trying to stray too far OT but do you use fondant over a crumbcoat or full butter cream?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 13

Duffs is definitely Fondarific. A rep from the company confirmed it in a thread on this site.

My favorites in order of preference:

MFF (white chocolate version)
Duffs (with a coupon)
MMF (but only Macmon's version that includes glycerin)
Satin Ice (they had a problem but have corrected it)

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 13

That all depends on what I am doing and what kind of cake it is. If I am doing flat not to much detail I like to use Satin Ice. The flavor is wonderful, the colors are great and I always know what to expect. I don't cover cakes with it though. Cracking/elephant skin can be an issue for me.

Fondarific is great too but haven't ever covered a cake with it. I have only used it in small amounts for accent pieces.

If the cake is a freebie I sometimes use the MM fondant recipes on CC and have good luck with them.

But, my most favorite is Jennifer Dontz's recipe. I use it sparingly because it cost more for the ingredients but the taste is divine and it never cracks on me. I purchased Jennifer's dvd to get the recipe and found her dvd very informative icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%