Help! Can I Put My Cake In The Refridgerator?

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm by srkmilklady

kristanashley Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 6

I made a cake with strawberry mousse filling for the first time (whipping cream with pudding mix, jello mix, and sugar). I used an edible image for the first time and made a fondant plaque with it that sits on top of my cake. If I put the cake in the refridgerator overnight, will the colors on the edible image run? And if I don't refridgerate the cake, will it spoil? I can't take the edible image off the cake because it has fondant draped over it and I don't want my fondant to crack. Please help!

5 replies
Kellbella Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 6

When do you plan to serve the cake? Tomorrow? I think it might be o.k. to sit on the kitchen counter overnight. Not sure how the edible image thing works...never tried it before.

mbark Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:30am
post #3 of 6

edible images are fine being refrigerated in my experience ( I used to work in a grocery store bakery), freezing them is when they can start to run once defrosting

srkmilklady Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 6

In the past 2 months I have made 2 cakes that had an edible image. I purchased my images at the local grocery store and was told to make sure to refrigerate them when I got home until I was ready to use them. I was also told to keep them wrapped in the plastic sleeve so they wouldn't dry out.

I made the cakes, applied the images and refrigerated until the next day, mainly because my cakes were iced and filled with IMBC under my fondant.

When I took the cakes out, there was a bit of "sweating" that occured due to our high humidity, but they eventually dried out and the images were unaffected.

I'm not sure I would want to leave your cake unrefrigerated, mainly because of the whipping cream you've used.

Now, this was just my experience and I am fairly new to this whole thing, but not knowing where you are located and what your weather conditions are, I can only tell you how it went for me.

Good luck!!!

kristanashley Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help. Just so you know, I put the cake in the refridgerator and everything turned out perfectly. No worries. icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%