High Temps + High Humidity + Longer Delivery = Help, Please!

Decorating By shawneen Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:16pm by shawneen

shawneen Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am delivering my first wedding cake tomorrow to a location approximately 2 hours away. (When I agreed to make the cake, I was so excited someone asked that I didn't get all the logistics ahead of time - lesson learned) This last week we have had temps in the high 90s/low 100s with humidity around 80%. My concern first is keeping my car cool for the commute so the cakes won't melt. Any tips?

Second concern is the stacking of the cake (4 tiers - 16, 14, 8, 6 - combo square and round cake). At this point I'm planning on putting the bottom two tiers together ahead of time using SPS (first time - I know waiting to last minute but just found out about it on here) and stacking the last two tiers there. Does this sound like a good idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks.

7 replies
leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds good to me.

Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 8

Make sure your car is cool before you and the cake get in. Should be fine if you are parked in a garage but if it is on the drive or out in the sun, start the AC a good 10 mins before you plan to load the cake in! And if necessary take a sheet or something to lay over the cake boxes so they are not right in the sun coming through the windows.

KHalstead Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

Make sure you can lift and carry a 16" and 14" cake stacked, that will be massive and HEAVY!!!

bakencake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8

also, see if you can assemble it on site. that takes the pressure.

millermom Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 8

If it makes you feel any better, I am in Kansas and had the exact same situation last weekend.

The bride insisted on IMBC, which I had never done in the summer before, and I was using SPS for the first time. (Best thing I've ever done! thanks Leah icon_wink.gif )

1 week before the wedding, I made a 6"round sample and frosted it with IMBC and decorated it just like the final product. I cooled my car for 15 mins, and then put the sample in the back and drove around like I was delivering it. Then I came back to my house and took it out and walked around outside for a min or so like I was transporting it into the venue. Finally, I put it in my bedroom (the hottest room in our house) and let it set for 5 or 6 hours just in case. It did just FINE!

So I was slightly less nervous on the weekend of the wedding when I put everything together. The SPS was great!!! The table for the cake was not ready yet, and I had to deliver the cake and run, so I was able to let the family of the bride move it to its final spot without any worries, and all was well. Everyone loved the cake and the frosting!

Sorry this was so long, but since OP and I are both in the same part of the country, I thought OP could relate.

Good luck!

shawneen Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:08am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone.

As for cake weight, I'm using my boyfriend for help. Granted I realize it will be heavy and may end up stacking it all site. I did call the site and they have no problem with finishing the stacking and final decorations there. My car is in the garage, but will probably cool it off ahead of time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pictures will follow after tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

shawneen Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 8

Woohoo! It all went well yesterday.

Temps were cooler and slighty overcast to help with commute. SPS was amazing and so easy to stack cakes I don't think I'll ever use anything else again. I've posted pictures in my profile. Sorry still haven't figured out how to post a picture in a post yet.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%