Why Did My Buttercream Not Crust This Time?

Decorating By zespri Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 12:44am by zespri

zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

So I made some yummy caramel buttercream a few days ago, and it crusted like a dream! I made my own dulce de luche for the caramel flavour.

Last night I used the same recipe, only difference is that this time I used store-bought dulce de luche. The darn stuff simply will not crust.... grrrrr!!

What makes buttercream crust? I always thought it was the amount of icing sugar used. Is it possible my home-made dulce de lulche was the 'crusting agent'?

5 replies
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 6

crusting is the ratio of fat to sugar ..... less fat, less crusting. More sugar, more crusting. Even if I add more milk to thin the icing down, as long as the fat/sugar ratio remains the same it still crusts ok.

Check to see if the store-bought ingredients would throw that ratio off.

Crimsicle Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 6

It's always been my understanding that it's the type of fat that makes an icing crust or not crust. The storebought dulce de leche may have had an emulsified fat in it or a more liquified fat, or who knows what for sure.

zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 6

I'm confused indydebi, did you mean to say less fat = less crusting, and more sugar = more crusting? 'cos when talking of ratios, I would have though less fat and more sugar meant the same thing....?

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

I'm confused indydebi, did you mean to say less fat = less crusting, and more sugar = more crusting? 'cos when talking of ratios, I would have though less fat and more sugar meant the same thing....?

oh my gosh you are right! Thanks for catching that. icon_redface.gif

More fat = LESS crusting!

zespri Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #6 of 6

hehe, thank you! So I might assume that my store-bought dulce de luche has more fat than the stuff I made myself, and if I add even MORE icing sugar, I might get it to crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

More fat = LESS crusting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%