Coffee Flavored Cake

Baking By Frostmommy Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm by erin12345

Frostmommy Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know a recipe for a coffee flavored cake? My husband requested one to cake to work since there are a lot of coffee lovers there. I have no idea if I can do it, but figured someone here might have an idea.

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 4

I make a mocha cake, which is chocolate batter with all the water in the recipe being swapped out for strong cold coffee.

You could also take a basic white cake and add coffee or even espresso in place of the water, depending on how strong you want the flavor. I've even seen people add straight instant espresso powder to their batter.

KJ62798 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 4

I make a mocha choco-chip cake w/white cake mix as the base.

I add 2tbs espresso powder, 1 sm pack choco pudding, 1c. sour cream, 3/4c oil, 1/2c coffee, 4 eggs to the cake mix. I dissolve the espresso powder in the coffee to make it extra strong. The pudding gives it a light chocolate taste but lets the coffee flavor come through.

I dust the mini semi-sweet choco chips w/flour and stir in at the end before putting the batter in the pans. Typical bake @ 350 w/time for the size pan you have. Might take a bit longer than the box time.

I took this to sorority reunion dinner and the sisters dubbed it "chocolate crack". I imagine you could make it w/vanilla cake mix & vanilla pudding to get a vanilla-latte effect.

erin12345 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

I spent most of the summer of '09 trying out recipes for a bride who wanted coffee flavored cake for one tier of her wedding cake. She did not want espresso, she wanted coffee flavor. After many attempts and failures, (the coffee flavor just never came out strong enough to really taste it) I gave up and ended up making a delicious espresso chocolate frosting. That recipe came right off of the Domino's box! I used it as filling between 2 layers of Devil's food cake and it was great. The bride liked it too and so did the guests! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%