Need Your Honest Opinions About This!!

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 11:38am by JenniferAtwood

CrumblesConfections Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 7

I've come up with the bright idea to find a local, reputable bakery that specializes in cakes to try to become an apprentice of sorts. I only can do this on Saturdays and I'm only interested in the cake part of the business and learning how the bakery runs. Is it a good idea for me to do this? I don't want to be an employee. For the knowledge that I can gain from doing this, I'm willing to do it for free. Does this sound stupid to you? I'm serious about the cake business and I'm willing to go the extra mile to learn what I can to be successful.

6 replies
tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 7

If you're only available Saturdays I wouldn't think that would be beneficial to bakeries as most of their baking/decorating would be done prior to Saturday.

jillmakescakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 7

Unfortunately, if you are only available on Saturday, chances are that you will only be able to assist with pickups as most of the decorating is done before Saturday (at least in my shop-- I hate last minute decorating)

That being said, you can get A LOT out of being the "pick-up" person. You can get practice in instructing people on the proper care of their cake, obtain feedback for the owner/decorator, practice a sales pitch (so, can I write in the date of your next event on our calendar?) etc. Also, if you are willing to assist with wedding deliveries, there is a TON of info to be learned there, and the car ride is a great time for questions.

Now, for the decorating, if you are only available on Saturdays, you may have to still practice at home.

Hope this helps.

CrumblesConfections Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

I was afraid that you guys would say that! LOL! Being available only on Saturday may not be beneficial to them, but I can probably squeeze in some other days if the bakery is open after 5 pm. I work full time so that's where I have the scheduling conflict. I'm more than happy to do Mon-Fri if they are still open. I know some places are open after they close down for business to do the decorating, baking, etc. I'm compiling a list of the reputable shops in my area and I will call them starting Monday to see if they could use my help. I'll have to speak with my husband first about the schedule first though since it might involve me getting home after 9 pm or something during the week. Thanks for your advice.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldnt call- I would go in and meet them.

cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

Good luck to you, Phoxphire! I really admire your determination. thumbs_up.gif

JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:38am
post #7 of 7

we take two interns at a time, however they have to work during normal hours and sign no compete and confidentiality agreemants you might run into this, so be prepaired.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%