Satin Ice Vs Mmf

Decorating By my3girlz Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 4:26am by teaparty

my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my3girlz Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 11

I am sure this has been asked before but I have searched the forum and I get overwhelmed. I make my own MMF and its really good. I am told "store bought" fondant is gross. I have heard some good thinsg about Satin ice though . . . can anyone tell me what they think of the taste compared to MMF???? I appreciatel your help. I have a wedding cake to do for my cousin and it would save me a TON of time if I was able to simply use Satin Ice.

10 replies
careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 11

Satin Ice and MMF are very similar in taste, in my opinion. The texture is a little different. MMF is more pliable, definitely. I prefer Satin Ice over MMF or MFF. Its easier to work with. Well, at least I think it is icon_smile.gif Remember, if taste is the issue for you, you can always add flavorings to the store bought fondant too! HTH.

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 11

I always use satin ice. I think it tastes pretty good it is nothing like the disgusting wilton stuff. They now have a buttercream flavor that I would like to try as I usually use the plain which has a marshmallow-like taste. I had problems a lot with mmf being temperamental and being in a panic having to remake and then I was behind schedule needing to wait to use it. The satin ice always rolls out nicely for me and isn't as affected when it is humid.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 11

As far as taste wise it isn't bad at all. I actually tastes pretty good, I personally prefer MMF but SI is good too. I don't like using it to cover cakes though, it may be me but I have had terrible luck covering cakes with it. It makes great roses and other stuff but I find it tears easily. I get better results using MMf to cover with.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 11

I use SI to cover cakes. It seems more reliable to me than MMF. The taste is good and it is very easy to work with it. If you have a large cake to do, SI would likely save you a lot of time.

I probably haven't mastered the making of MMF but I can never seem to get to roll out as smooth as I can the SI.

Kristy

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 11

I've never tried to make my own fondant - partially because I do like Satin Ice so much. Additionally, the thought of having to make fondant on top of everything else involved in creating a cake stresses me out. For me, the convenience of using ready-made fondant greatly outweighs the cost. It's worth every penny!

I normally use the Vanilla flavored SI and I really like it. I ordered some of the Buttercream flavor, but havent used it on a cake yet. (I just tasted it and its yummy!)

Good Luck!

~diem

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11

I can tell the taste difference, but I bet most non-cakers cannot. I recently did a cake for work where I covered it with home-made fondant, but had a large accent with green Satin Ice on top. I thought my slice tasted fine until I bit down on some of that green ... just about barfed ... not really, I exaggerate, but yechh, I can definitely tell. honestly, it's not actually gross, but I think home-made tastes much better. You can control the flavors (add some white chocolate, or some LorAnn emulsions). You can even mix the Satin Ice with home-made stuff and get a little bit of both worlds.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

I use both, and often times mix the two. As others have stated they have similar tastes.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:04am
post #9 of 11

Maybe they were referring to Wilton's fondant. That stuff just tastes nasty! icon_lol.gif

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:30am
post #10 of 11

I don't care much for the taste of SI, although I wouldn't say it is bad. Personally I think MMF tastes better, but then again I'm sure SI would taste good with flavor added to it. Maybe I have only tasted the vanilla. Since I have been using fondant I have only used MMF. I worked at a bakery a while back and we only used SI. But this thread had me curious, how long does it take you to make a batch of MMF? It really only takes me about 10-15 minutes to make.

teaparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teaparty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #11 of 11

I use Satin Ice only for red and black, the rest of the time I use MMF. I prefer the taste of MMF because for some reason SI seems to have a very faint licorice taste that I'm not that fond of. The nice thing about MMF is that you can customize the flavour, sometime I use Creme Bouquet, other times vanilla and almond, etc. A batch generally takes me about 10-15 min. to make and yields about 23 oz. (Rhonda's Ultimate MMF Recipe) HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%