Blowout Repair

Decorating By iamcakin Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm by dguerrant

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I know there are several theories as to the cause, but can they be repaired??? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative!

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about a bulge from the layer/filling area?
If so, when leveling your cake check the sides.
Once I started trimming them back, my blowouts stopped.
Thanks, SugarShack!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 5

To me a blowout is where the icing pushes away from the cake. I use a toothpick and poke a small hole to let the air out and then push it back to the cake.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry, I didn't get notification that there were replies to my post. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

It's the icing bubble, not a filling bulge (yes THANK YOU Sharon icon_wink.gif )!

I smoothed it back as best I could, but didn't poke it - I sure hope it doesn't come back.

I've only had that happen once before. I let my cakes settle, don't know what happened. I am a nervous wreck that it will happen on a wedding cake next weekend. FINALLY got the smooth icing down, use SPS for worry-free transporting, and now THIS... tapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

i have also had this happen especially when pushing in plastic dowels or posts for sps, slow and steady and do it early. i think the compression created by the pushing makes a bubble that needs to escape. sometimes they don't show up until later (well after being inserted), so i do everything well in advance, so i can repair them in the conveinece of "my" kitchen with all my supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%